Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: Do you still own some VHS or BETA tapes? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
We went back to Iceland last year as a family. It was great! We brought with us all of our old VHS cam recorder tapes (you know, the small ones). We are really looking forward to transferring them onto digital media so we can watch old footage of our kinds when they were young. I also found a couple of regular size VHS tapes. One from my 20th birthday that my friends gave me. It is basically interview of my friends, probably giving me advice and such :) Dang! I really want to find a VHS player now and watch it...
giphy
Soooooo do you still own some VHS or BETA tapes? 
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

22 comments

Comment

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2023

About 10 years ago, my husband had a converter available to borrow from his job at the time. I went through all of my family's tapes and converted them. It was a fun (although lengthy) process!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2023

My wife and I got married in 1999 = wedding video is on VHS. I keep saying that I need to transfer it to a digital format, but I think that subconsciously I have some irrational fear of it being too easy to proliferate. Right now it's an event just to watch it, can't imagine having it on my phone.

Like # people like this
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2023

I've got dozens of VHS and miniDV cassettes that I've been itching to convert into digital formats! Sadly, I don't have the equipment to watch them, but I'm on the hunt for a trusted paid-service that can help me out.

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2023

I never used Betamax, but I used to own my favourite movies on VHS tapes.

Our family never had a VHS camera though which is a pity because I like old photos and videos.

VHS rentals at the video store, those were the days ...

My wedding (long long gone) has been recorded both on VHS and DVD.

So happy with Cloud storage now.

Like # people like this
Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2023

We have probably 50 or so VHS tapes, and I probably have 100 or so Super-8/Digital-8 tapes.  Yeah, I need to convert 'em... hasn't happened yet.  I still have functional players in both formats, so no issues there, but still...

Like # people like this
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2023

I still have a couple of VHS tapes lying around, and even have a DVD / VHS player combo.
But it's been years since I watched any of them, I honestly don't know if they still work :)

Like # people like this
tsmith November 9, 2023

What good timing! I was actually thinking about the collection of VHS tapes (mostly movies from childhood) that I left at my parents' house. They were on my mind before I even checked email today. They're still in my old room, which is occupied by my younger sister now. I was thinking we should do something with them so she can utilize that space.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2023

Yep, two sets of my favourite old TV shows. 

In the UK, owning multiple copies of stuff you are entitled to on different media is legal.  So the downloaded/ripped copies of the shows I have available on a hard-disk are legal because I've got a box of the VHS recordings of them (stored in a box I don't think I've opened since I last moved house)

One of them has just been made available to stream though, probably because there's a new series starting in a couple of weeks.

FWIW, same goes for my CD collection and the bits of the DVDs I've got around to ripping. 

And tapes.  I still have my first music album purchased on cassette (it would be CD, but at the time, they were about four times the price, and we didn't have a CD player), and some LPs, but they are all in the "nostalgia" box.  

Like @Peter Van de Voorde I have no idea if any of them still work.  The VHS machine is in the box with the tapes!

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2023

If memory serves, I have one with a cooking show I did as a project for my Japanese class in college -- at least I hope I still have it tucked away somewhere.  That would be a riot to watch again.   We made chicken teriyaki and even had a commercial for Sapporo beer - hahaha.  If I do still have it, I don't have a player anymore so it will need to get converted.  Sounds like a two-weekend project (one to find the dang thing and another to convert it).  😆

Like # people like this
Halina Cudakiewicz_Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 10, 2023

I hope you'll find the way to watch the old videos - that'll be lots of fun!

My family still has tons of tapes with old movies :)

Like # people like this
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2023

I have a special memory about this. When I was younger, my uncle worked at a studio and he somehow managed to create for me, from a VHS, a BETA tape of The Jungle Book, which at the time was my favourite film. We watched it so many times, I am sure it is completely destroyed by now, lol!

Like # people like this
Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2023

Still, I own a couple of old VHS tape movies from the '80s, mainly for those which I could not find a DVD replacement. 

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2023

Still have plenty of movies on VHS.  We had home movies on VHS-C that we broke out the VCR so we could get them transferred to DVD.  With the iMac, and the Camcorder to do the digital conversion, he had them done in no time.

Some of those movies on VHS are very rare, and those tapes can be worth over $1000 today.

Like # people like this
Hjalti Magnússon _Sharecurely_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 13, 2023

I can feel the nostalgia in your story, and those VHS tapes are like precious time capsules. I had two VHS tapes converted to digital format a few years ago. It's pricey (in Iceland) but well worth it to keep the memories alive!

Carlos
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 15, 2023

This brings me back to being a kid and I love it. I know I still have some VHS movies but I don't have a way of watching them anymore. This is making me want to go and find a player though! 

Like # people like this
kay bickell November 16, 2023

I just found two of the mini tapes, having only thrown away the adaptor VHS last year on the assumption that I no longer had any mini tapes and also not owning a VCR any more. Or a TV.

I am rather curious to know what, if anything is on those mini tapes now though, it's infuriating!

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2023

Sorry I'm a week late.  I am old enough (just) to remember BETA tapes.  I don't specifically have them.  But my parents still have the copy of E.T. on BETA they bought for me when I was much younger.

I do however still have my VHS copy of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2023

I have boxes of Disney VHS tapes for no reason other than I hate to toss them.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2023

We had several until we moved and got rid of all of them.  It was too bad because some of the movies we have never replaced.  

Edward Quinito December 10, 2023

I still have a new VHS tape on the attic, not sure if still working or not though.

ABR January 31, 2024

Hi, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen ,

Yes! I still have the VHS tapes of Born Free and Bruce Lee movies our father showed us when we were kiddies! I also have my videotapes of my daughter's growing up years from babyhood to toddler! We are trying to digitize them quickly to preserve them forever!

Regards,

ABR

Josh Shepherd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2024

We never got into Beta tapes, but VHS, we have lots in the basement. Although to be totally honest, I am not 100% sure why. We don't have a way to play them! LOL 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events