Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why should I use the GoogleDrive powerup when I can just use "attachment"?

Karen Derrick-Davis February 1, 2018

Hi, I don't understand why it is advantageous to use the GoogleDrive or OneDrive powerup when I can attach a document without it.  Please explain!  Thanks! :)

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alice
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2018

I agree with Devon.

As an example, I use the Google Drive Power-Up in my blogging board because it's where I store all my ideas and plan for the blog posts. So when I decide a title and a topic for a blog post, I open the card, add all the details and then I find it incredibly useful to create and attach a Google Doc directly from there, rather than opening Google Drive.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2018

Hi Karen!

It really depends on your workflow. The Power-Up is nice because you can attach an entire folder, and it shows that folder's content on the card without you having to add each item. Plus, it opens it directly in Google Drive, so you can keep one central file updated instead of modifying attached items and then re-uploading them. 

But, attaching has its benefits, too. If you don't want to be redirected out of Trello, attaching lets you preview the attachments from inside your board, which can be a timesaver. 

I personally use both for different situations. I suggest you try them out and figure out which works best for you with your needs and feel free to use that :)

Hope I've helped!

Karen Derrick-Davis February 1, 2018

yes, thanks! very helpful.

Alejandro Flores Mosquera September 22, 2021

Hi Devon, I totally agree with your answer, but I would like to make one point:
With Dropbox and Google Drive Power-up it is possible to attach complete folders and view the content, but not with OneDrive.
With OneDrive all you can do is attach the folder link, and you see the folder as an attachment, but not as a content container. Or is there a way to make it work like Dropbox or Google Drive?
Thanks for your contributions to the community,
Alejandro

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events