Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the new account linking means I can no longer use Trello - need some workaround

Travis_Laborde
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 22, 2020

Please consider the following.  I have these accounts:

• me@gmail.comas for personal Trello and Bitbucket accounts
  • me@work.com for Bitbucket and JIRA

I use Trello all day every day and have cards linked to JIRA cases and Bitbucket code.  Since I am logged in to both in the same browser, this all works just fine.

But now with the account linking, it seems this workflow is broken.

me@gmail.com for Trello wants to link to my Atlassian account.  I have two Atlassian accounts, one for Bitbucket and JIRA for work and one for Bitbucket personal.

I fear that if I link my Trello to my personal Atlassian account, then I won't be able to open tabs to Bitbucket or JIRA in the same browser.  And I certainly don't want to link my personal Trello to my work email.

I guess I could just make a new "work" account for Trello, but even so I don't know how I'd move everything from one to the other.  This seems very painful.

Is anyone else encountering this or are there workarounds?

Thanks

Travis

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2020

@Travis_Laborde Trello have set up a utility for transferring boards from one account to another to simplify the process of creating separate work and Trello accounts during this transition to Atlassian accounts:

https://help.trello.com/article/1104-how-to-transfer-boards-to-a-new-account

0 votes
Boyd Petrie May 28, 2020

This task created a whole new Trello account for me because of my Bitbucket account. That got linked to my G Suite account, and now I'm stuck without access to my Trello boards because G Suite is connected to my new Trello account, not the correct, older one.

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2020

@Boyd Petrie you can login to Trello using your old email address still, the account still exists. If you update your email address in Trello to be the same as your G-Suite email, then when you migrate to Atlassian again it should link to the correct account.

Boyd Petrie May 28, 2020

@Iain Dooley As soon as I type my old email address, it changes the link to "Log in with Atlassian". These are two different email domains, but they are both the same G Suite account. I used one address for Bitbucket, and I used another address for Trello. So when this migration happened, Trello created a new account from my Bitbucket account and now I can't access my former Trello account.

There's no other way for me to log back into my old Trello account now.

2020-05-28 19_22_03-Log in to Trello.png2020-05-28 19_23_41-Log in to Trello.png

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2020

@Boyd Petrie even though you can have lots of email aliases for one G-Suite account, there is only one email address which is inherent to the account, and that's the one that Atlassian will have linked. Your other email will exist not as a G-Suite login but as an Atlassian account unlinked to Google, so you can either try your old password or do a forgotten password request.

Boyd Petrie June 1, 2020

@Iain Dooley The problem is that apparently I'm somehow the Atlassian org admin, which I don't know how that ever happened. But the admin account is linked to a G Suite alias, not my primary G Suite address. When I try logging in, it only takes my primary G Suite address. So I can't get logged in to my Admin side because the email address linked to the admin account is just an alias of my primary domain address. 

I don't know who to talk to about this. This was not something we had planned for our users, so it's turned into quite a mess for our small business. Luckily most people seem to be able to still log in to Trello, but I am not able to.

My Atlassian admin account is completely inaccessible at this point. No password resetting is going to help here.

ManuR
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 2, 2020

Hi @Boyd Petrie 

Can you contact us via http://trello.com/contact so we can check your accounts and troubleshoot it from our side?

Thank you!

Like Boyd Petrie likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events