Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repeating cards with checklists and due date

yamunakoelsch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2023

We use cards that are repeating (daily/weekly/monthly/).

Most of those cards are more complex and have checklists and several tasks including, that we check off.

Once the card is done, it should be automatically repeated (daily/weekly/monthly/), with all the checklists and a new due date (daily/weekly/monthly/).

We used to create card-templates and copied them every single day, also putting the due date every single day, but this cannot be the solution :)

A perfect solution would be, that “once a card has marked as done”/”the due date on a card has been checked”, a new identically copy of this card with the same name and a new due date will be created.

When using the card repeater power up, the card is only repeated and does not appear directly after the before-card is done, Also I did not understand how to creating due dates with this that automatically change as well? Plus, I understood, that with the card repeater power up, it is always one original card, which is copied/repeated. So if we make additional notes/changes in the meantime in the newer cards, we always have to switch to the original card, right? It would be way easier, to just use the current card.

I hope I could explain what I mean :)

If you know the “Tasks in Planner and To Do” (an app for microsoft teams), the function of repeating is the exact thing we would need.

Thank you for your help. Kind regards, Yamuna

1 answer

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2023

Hi @yamunakoelsch ! Welcome to the community 😊 have you tried using butler automation to repeat cards before? It's a lot more customizable than the repeater power-up. 

Basically, you create "if this, then that" statements. So if this thing happens, then do this thing. In your case, it sounds like there would be multiple triggers maybe? So one would be when a card's due date is completed, and the other would be triggered based on a schedule.

Here are a couple of examples of automation rules that might work for you:

when the due date is marked as complete in a card, copy the card to the bottom of list "To Do", and move the due date to the same day next week
(these are completely customizable by the way, so you can choose whichever list, and whatever date).

every 2 weeks on monday at 8:00 am, copy all the cards in list "Template" to list "To Do"
(with schedule commands, it affects multiple cards, so it doesn't give you the option to change due dates on specific cards, however, you could set up a secondary rule that impacts these cards - e.g. when a card is copied to the "to do" list, set due date to....").

Butler is pretty customizable so there are lots of different ways to use it including setting date arithmetics and variables

Hope that helps and happy to answer any questions! 😊
Michael
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2023

Dear Hannah,

thank you very much. That was a very helpful advice with the automation/rules.
I set up two rules for now. Does that make sense?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-09 um 08.26.12.pngNow I have the problem, that this rules are only in my account. Even when I set up the rules in our admin account (this account, Michael), the rules are only in his account. How can we create rules, that are relevant for all of our team members?

Many thanks, Yamuna

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2023

Yes that all looks fine to me! In terms of creating rules that are relevant to all members, when you create a new rule, it does mean that only that person is able to administer that rule. However, the automation should trigger for everyone based on how you've set it up. The rule is saying "when anyone marks the due date as complete..." It doesn't matter if someone isn't able to see/edit the rule itself, the automation will still run regardless. Does that answer your question?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events