Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it sooooo hard to edit the back of a trello card?

Mark Jones September 30, 2020

Cursor_and_Engineering_Retro_9_30_20___Trello.jpg

You click on the pencil you get the menu which is conspicuously missing "vote", "edit back", other things?, you click anywhere else NOTHING HAPPENS.  How are you supposed to edit the back?  I'm using Chrome, on a Mac and this is a royal PITA.  Why is it not the dropdown menu?  What Sadist designed this UI?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Turns out this is a BUG in Trello.  Once I brought up Firefox window it works as expected, but the fact that I can see the URL change means the event is being seen.  Also a hard reload in chrome fixed the problem, but why is that needed?  Someone on the packaging team isn't doing their job and the JS code is not being versioned correctly.  Open the inspector and look at the network tab for JS files, several files are loaded WITHOUT any versions on them.

Also, why is the react-devtools-backend.js being released to production? 

This is a billion $ company with an 11.9MB download to load the page and it took 5.76 seconds!  Put some resources on this to improve the product experience.

power-up.min.js
powerup.js

0 votes

Of course it would have not been as noticeable had the designer not prohibited the edit card option in the dropdown menu in the first place.  To intentionally leave this out of the product should be considered an anti pattern.  Like making a stove where you have to click the eye to change the setting.  That would be an obviously stupid idea.  In my opinion, leaving edit card to a hidden click zone is equally stupid.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events