1: Set my Trello notifications to "Instantly"

Trello_Notifications_-_Instant_Setting_-_26nov18.png

2: Tested to ensure I can receive the emails

Trello_Notifications_-_Test_Email_-_26nov18.png

3: Confirmed Chrome allows notifications from Trello

Trello_Notifications_-_Chrome_Allowed_-_26nov18.png

4: Confirmed Windows 10 allows Chrome notifications

Trello_Notifications_-_Windows_Chrome_On_-_26nov18.png

And yet I don't get any notifications to remind me what needs to be done.

Can someone help?

I'm using Trello on Chrome Windows 10.

Cheers, Nat

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2018

Looking at the first screenshot, it seems no notifications are triggered. Some of the information on the cards is blanked out but are you by any chance not a member of the card (or watching it) that you are expecting a notification for?

In order to receive a notification, you'll need to watch or become a member of that card. You'll also receive a notification if you're watching the list or board that the card belongs to, even if you're not a member of the card itself. You can find more information on how to watch cards, lists, or boards here: https://help.trello.com/article/799-watching-cards-lists-and-boards

The second thing we can check is the timing. Due date notifications are sent 24 hours before the due date time. If you add a due date that's less than 24 hours away, or if you start watching a card within 24 hours of when it's due, you won't receive a notification in that case.

You can test this out by creating a new card, adding yourself as a member to that card, and then setting a due date for that card for 24 hours and 5 minutes in the future. In about 5 minutes, you should receive a notification about the due date.

If you don't receive the notification, or if you're running into another issue, could you take a screenshot of the card you expect to see a notification for, and send it to trello.com/contact so we can check?

Nat Sullivan November 27, 2018

Hi @Torben_trello - yes, I blanked out the cards because of the content.  This is my personal private board, so I didn't know I had to watch each card!!

I've watched the Board and the Lists, and then each card and it seems that that's working now.

Thanks for the help.  It would be great to see more real-time notifications (since due date/time change so often on some action items) rather than just 24-hours prior, and that any Private Board would automatically receive notifications.

Cheers, Nat

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2018

@Nat Sullivan Trello email notifications don't get sent unless you haven't viewed the notification anywhere else. So if you happen to view it in the browser, or view it on mobile etc. within about 5 minutes of the notification occurring it won't be emailed to you... that is, the instant option isn't actually instant, it's "in about 5 minutes as long as you haven't viewed it anywhere else".

I recently had my product Benko Board included in the Trello integrations section which not only integrates gmail with Trello but gives you a single board where you can view all cards you've been added to, as well as all notifications:

https://trello.com/integrations#benkoboard

Nat Sullivan November 26, 2018

Thanks for coming back to me on this Iain,

I haven't viewed the notifications anywhere...while I have the Trello board on an open tab, I don't go onto it actively all the time, so there's just not anything notifying me at all.

While I think Trello is a great tool to Kanban my To-Do Lists and collaborate on activities, it requires a lot of babysitting to actually stay on top of it :(

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2018

@Nat Sullivan yes that's why I created benko board ;)

Have you tried disabling chrome notifications? I have a hunch that the reason you're not receiving your email notifications is because one of your other notifications is causing Trello to think that you have read or viewed the notification and therefore isn't sending the email.

I remember when I was initially relying on email notifications I had to have lots of warnings for my staff and clients to never view notifications in web or mobile, and it's possible that having them enabled in the browser is causing Trello to think of them as read -- try disabling them.

Also, I know you're probably aware of this but Trello notifications will go to the Updates tab in Gmail, just in case you hadn't checked there I thought I'd mention it ;)

Nat Sullivan November 27, 2018

Hi @Iain Dooley - yes, I tried disabling aswell.  I'll keep trying alternatives...maybe I'll get lucky ;) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events