Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello: Determining the age of a label

Lori April 24, 2019
  1. Is there any way to determine the age of a label on a Trello board? As in, discover when it was originally created?
  2. Similarly, is there any way to determine who on your board created a label?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

@LoriTrello does not directly record when a label was added to a card, and also does not record who added a label to a card in the action feed.

That means there is no direct way to determine this.  If you are into Trello API programming, there might be a way to indirectly address this.

Lori April 26, 2019

@marc -Collabello--Phase Locked- 
Thank you for your quick and concise response!

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2019

@Lori label creation date/member who created a label doesn't show up in the label data retrieved via the API, and label creation doesn't appear in the list of board actions. Also, if you move a card from one board to another, the labels that are on that card will be created in the new board so you can't even really set up a tracking tool that will comprehensively give you the origin of all labels.

You could set up a tracking tool using the API that would allow you to record any time a user adds a label to a card, and record who did that and when, in a Google Sheet. It would look like this in Trellinator:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/87d407118d9b995733b3b7d57f9fb668

You can see how to set up Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

May I also ask what it was you're trying to track? There might be another way to achieve the same thing ... 

Lori April 26, 2019

@Iain Dooley 
To answer your question:
I specifically wanted to see when the Trello label had been created and by whom.

Since our Trello board has been around for quite some time and we have dozens of labels, the age of the label is a helpful data point to track.  In turn, it would also help as an identifier when a new label was added.

As I had not unearthed anything on my own, I wanted to tap the community to see if there were any Trello apps or extensions already in existence. 

I appreciate the feedback. While Trellinator is not in our immediate future (as we're not looking for scripts/data sheets), it's good to know such an option exists.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events