Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking students at a school in trello

Bill McInerney
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 1, 2020

I have a small school, with about 100 kids, and I am considering using Trello to track students throughout their time at our school.  

I would love some feedback on the best way to do this.  Thoughts:

IDEA 1

• Create a Trello board for each grade
  • Create a Trello list for each student
  • Create Trello cards for each class the student is participating in, which I'm assuming will generate a feed for that class.

IDEA 2

• Create a Trello board for the entire school
  • Create a Trello list for each grad
  • Create a Trello card for each student

Idea 2 seems simpler but my concern is that over time the feed is going to get so long that finding things would become a challenge.  Ideally, I'd like to track and search for items a teacher has posted so meeting with parents is easy.  

Would love feedback and ideas!

Regards,

Bill

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2020

@Bill McInerney I think you're better off creating your assets by cohort rather than grade, because students change grade every year but, for example, the class of 2024 is always the class of 2024.

I think I'd approach this with a single board, one list per cohort, one card per student, and then use linked checklist items to one card for each student for each grade as they go through (and any other required "deeper" information levels):

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Subtasks-with-Butler/ba-p/1060392

When you're using linked checklist items, you can archive the linked cards so they don't take up space on the main board and everything still looks neat n tidy. You can also link cards as attachments:

https://blog.trello.com/related-cards-related-boards

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events