Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Trello from replacing a URL in a card comment into a page title

Viewing page 3 of 3

65 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Brian Jackson October 21, 2021

This is one of the most annoying features Trello has ever pushed out. There needs to be an option to turn this off. 

2 votes
Alessandro Bonzi October 18, 2021

Super annoying, super un-professsional, bugs bringer, dangerous when linking competitors, super anti-programmers, better migrate away if they don't fix it.

Alessandro Bonzi April 28, 2022

After months of usage, we came to the solution that every link we put is entered as a `code` so we put `https://www.google.com` for every url to avoid Trello auto-resolving it and/or notify competitors that someone is using them in a trello project :p

Hope this helps.

Like Eric Feitel likes this
2 votes
elseapps September 18, 2021

I've become innured to constantly deleting the protocol part of each link after I paste it, turning https://www.site.com into www.site.com. This restores the sane behaviour Trello used to have.

However clients aren't doing this, and the new behaviour is a constant pain point.

We have a particular type of email that contains a one-time link. The client pastes an example of this email into a Trello card and ... poof! ... the link is visited (by Trello) invalidating the test case. Is there any point even trying to explain to clients what's going on here? I think not.

2 votes
Deleted user August 27, 2021

Been thinking about moving to Asana. This might just do it. How freaking annoying.

Make a toggle in settings at LEAST, please. I don't want to have to go through hundreds of cards to edit each URL.

1 vote
Kay Head February 5, 2023

I did it - what you have to do is use markdown.

So put your link both in [ ] brackets and then ( ) brackets.

So e.g. 
[https://extinctionrebellion.uk/](https://extinctionrebellion.uk/)

Obviously that a bit annoying - but it helps when i'm leaving notes for other people and want them to see the url

rbrollins February 6, 2023

Excellent!

1 vote
rayhinton October 20, 2022

Absolutely astounding that there is not a toggle for enabling or disabling this behavior.

Danny_GVL July 11, 2022

image.png

1 vote
jukka hautakorpi May 1, 2022

Why is this feature still forced for users accross all/many atlassian products ?

It absolutely makes ONLY harm in every place where it is!

1 vote
Mark Jeronimus November 30, 2021

Don't get me wrong, there are still several reasons why this is bad, as can be seen by some of the comments.

However, most other comments try to point out problems that aren't problems at all but rather user errors. When you put a URL in a card when the words themselves in the URL are important rather than visiting the link, then at that point the URL should not be a "link" at all, but should be written like code, in back-quotes. If you put URLs in back-quotes, they don't get resolved and reformatted as links anymore. (This works both in the description and in comments).

Nathan November 30, 2021

I agree that this "could" be seen as a shade of user error. However, and this may be different for some, but most of the members on my boards are non-technical folks who don't naturally know to put code and important URLs in back-quotes or codeblocks. Using back-quotes is second nature for developers, but non-technical folks usually don't even know they exist and often forget to use them when asked to do so.

Additionally, using back-quotes for adding URLs is great, but it makes them unclickable. When I paste a URL into a comment I almost always want it to be a link, e.g., be able to both see the URL and be able to click it (without needing to reach for markdown). This is how Trello has worked from its inception, and it's hard having it removed for what many here see as little gain.

Just my 2 cents.

Like # people like this
Matt Summers November 30, 2021

I respectfully disagree. Calling URLs 'code' is a reach. The code formatting block is to preserve whitespace. Anything else is a side effect.

If I'm posting a URL, it's because I want to post a URL, not a hyperlink with a page title. 

Ed has posted many examples in this thread illustrating exactly that pain point.

We live in an age where companies just do not care. Updates and breaking changes are pushed out without consideration. No communication. Six months without a solution - a very simple solution - being provided. It is mind-boggling.

The only answer is to switch platforms.

Like # people like this
Nathan November 30, 2021

@Matt Summers I agree with you more ;-) I've been dogged by this so-called feature for six months and it's driving me nuts. I've posted on this thread three times and opened a support ticket that went nowhere, Atlassian is not listening (or don't care). The thought of moving numerous clients to a new platform is painful, but I'm considering it.

Like # people like this
1 vote
alecsey October 7, 2021

Solutions:

Write links without http(s)://  

for example:

trello.com/b/nC8QJJoZ/trello-development-roadmap

but not:

https://trello.com/b/nC8QJJoZ/trello-development-roadmap

2. Add CSS in browser. It's easy.

Use Extension like "stylebot"

add the rule for trello.com :

.atlaskit-smart-link:after {

content: attr(href);
    display: block;
}
it will show the link after replaced title at new line
-----
Little bonus. If you don't like the button in comment block "Loom Video"
and you will hide it:
add css:
.js-comment-record-button {
  display: none
}

-----

Hope it helps!

1 vote
krisflint September 29, 2021

Removing the https or adding backtics doesn't work when I need to copy and paste the URLS a corworker posted. Please get rid of this "feature" or at least add a setting to turn it off. Thanks.

Amaya Rodrigo October 20, 2022

Amen!

Like Eric Feitel likes this
1 vote
Paari July 29, 2021

there is only one simple way is, Using Trello in mobile

in the android mobile trello app the links won't change into hyperlink

if we copy the link in the android app, it will be copied as a direct link

we can paste it anywhere..

I'll copy the links from Trello mobile app, and send to my team from skype or WhatsApp

this is little less annoying but this is the only way for now

0 votes
tuunixjukka July 24, 2023

This is still a problem ! 

I have put in my user profile to keep urls and not previews, yet the old board's card description field's pasted url get converted to card

WHY?!!?!

0 votes
Sharon Eaton July 20, 2023

Trello - Atlassian - Please fix this urgent issue.

The request has been made a abundence of times over a very long period and this should be a quick fix.

I had a work around, click on the edit button, then copy the text, but for some crazy reason, you turned this off too. This makes Trello not much use for many people.

It's an easy fix - just do it!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events