Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching one board only on Trello

paul March 4, 2020

I can't figure out how to use the search button ONLY for the current board I'm on. I've got several boards & the search returns results for ALL boards. Help! Thanks!

4 answers

3 votes
Gail Gardner
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 14, 2023

Does anyone else feel the default should be to search on the board you're on? And then if you want to broaden your search there could be a checkbox for "all boards" or "all boards within this organization"?

0 votes
Юрий
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 9, 2023

Use id of your board without "board" keyword. It's a Trello bug, because their help reference say that you should use query like this "board:id". You can find your board id by using instruction from this answer: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/How-to-get-Trello-Board-ID/qaq-p/1347525

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2020

@paul in addition to the comment from @Ludo regarding the ability to filter on the current board, you can also restrict search to the current board using the "board:" search modifier. You can see the full list of modifiers here:

https://help.trello.com/article/808-searching-for-cards-all-boards

The reason you might like to do this is because the way that conditions in filtering are combined is always "OR" rather than "AND". This means that if you filter by title and label, then you'll see any cards on the board that either have the title match or have that label.

If you use search modifiers to show cards on the current board that have a label and title match it'll give you a narrower list. It also allows you to negate conditions such as "cards without label X".

The only downside is that it displays the cards in a results list, not on the board.

Steve
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 23, 2023

Iain,

I know this is a post from a while back but I'm trying to clarify something. Maybe you can help.

I have multiple boards.  I am trying to create a search that will search for a keyword in the title of a card LIMITED to a single board - not all of them.

For instance I was trying to search fo 'alaska' in a card name but cannot find out how to make it limit to a certain board - LWFF-2024 in this case

I have tried 
board:LWFF-2024 alaska but get results from all board as show below.

I have also tried board:LWFF2024 alaska and board:LWFF 2024 alaska thinking it may not recognize the Board name.

It seems like it would be simple but I'm not seeing my error.  It happens in advanced search as well.

Thanks.

trell_board1.jpgtrell_board2.jpgtrell_board3.jpg

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 23, 2023

@Steve it looks like your board is called "LWFF 2024", there is no hyphen in the board names according to your screenshot. In order to constrain search results to a single board with a name containing a space, put the board name in double quotes:

board:"LWFF 2024" alaska
0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2020

Hi

Search feature on a board is available by board menu. See this

https://help.trello.com/article/787-filtering-search-cards-on-a-board

Jason Ables
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 7, 2023

The major downside to this approach is that the keyword filter will only search for the text inside of the card title or custom field.   It's a shame that it doesn't allow you to search comments, descriptions, and checklists as well.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events