Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove the completed tasks in the copy of a card

Lau RA July 20, 2020

Hi all,

I want to create a card button with Butler to:

1. Create a copy of a card named and assign it with the name "date" - done
  2. Ignore the comments on the original card - done
  3. Copy all the checklists - done
  4. On the new card, remove the completed tasks on the checklists from the original card - help

The checklists are copied without the complete status so the action has no checklists to remove and I don't want to remove those tasks from the original card.

Any suggestions?

2 answers

0 votes
Vongsawat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2020

Here's a way, though it takes a few extra steps because apparently the variable {foundchecklistitemname} isn't implemented *grumbles*

For the set-up, to achieve some IF-conditional shenanigans: Create a private board called Conditionals. And create a card called "complete" (without the quotation marks)

Commands:
first you go back to the original card: Find a card with link {triggercardlink}
then do a: For each checklist item.
then doing IF-conditional shenanigans with: Lookup a card titled {checklistitemstate} on board "Conditionals"
you jump back to the new card with: Find a card with name "date" ((or maybe with link {copycardlink}? might work.))
and finally: Check {checklistitemname} in checklist {checklistname}

The mentioned shenanigans essentially try to find a card named either complete or incomplete. When it can't find a card called incomplete, it stops that entire branch of commands, and goes to the next For Each.

Lau RA July 28, 2020

Thank you, Vongsawat. Your workaround is pretty advanced, I'm astonished. Thank you for taking the time to think this through.

Also, thank you for grumbling with me! When I originally added my question I hoped that there would be some basic set up that I wasn't seeing but I'll better refrain from going all the way to find a workaround for just one step that doesn't represent a big trouble right now. Hopefully, Butler will be able to do a clean up of completed items when copying a card soon!

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2020

Hi @Lau RA 

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, because you're creating a copy, nothing will be checked, if you had the due date marked as complete, that wouldn't transfer to the copy either. 

Can I ask, which tier of Trello are you on?

If you have Advanced Checklists as part of Business Class, you could set the due date on the original checklist, then you know anything with a past date could be removed, because you'd have checked it as done. You might even be able to do this with Butler, but don't quote me on that!

Because Advanced Checklists are still very new, we don't have the Butler rules we would like just yet!

If you have Gold or free, where advanced checklists aren't on there, the only thing that you could do is maybe link the cards together and set up a rule like: when a checklist item is unticked on card a (the original) tick it on card b (the 'clone). Then you could go into the original card untick (which would trigger the tick on the other side) and then tick it again (which wouldn't trigger anything because the rule is attached to the uncheck). Although if you're on free or Gold, this would eat through your Butler quota quite quickly, especially if you have a lot on your checklists that need to be 'triggers'.

Other than that, I'm pretty stumped!

Esme :)

Lau RA July 28, 2020

Thank you, Esme. This board is set for a free team. This button is a nice-to-have, I'll probably set it up with the actions that I can and then wait and see if/when Butler is improved.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events