Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please stop making unnecessary changes to Trello

Nik Samoylov May 3, 2024

I am very disappointed by the recent changes to Trello. It seems that Atlassian is trying to make it look like Jira or Confluence (i.e. slow, unusable, bad).

Atlassian just decided to kill markdown editing by default (for some obscure corporate reason I guess). Seems like there is a solution to it: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-discussions/Would-love-to-have-markdown-editing/td-p/2603253

But today I noticed that the modal that moves cards has new clunky dropdowns that are very buggy in Firefox.

These changes do not add any value to users. They just destroy existing workflows. These are very bad product decisions.

Please put your pens downs and stop messing with Trello, or try to understand the spirit of the product first.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David May
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2024

I signed up for a community.atlassian account just so I could comment on this. @Nik Samoylov is 100% right. Atlassian is slowly destroying Trello. Before it was a fast, logical, perfectly running tool, and now it's buggy, slow, and frustrating. Atlassian, if you are going to continue to turn Trello into every other corporate project management product, please launch "Trello Classic" for the rest of us who just want something fast and reliable that just works. 

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2024

Hi @David May 

@Nik Samoylov 

Please excuse me this is gonna be a long one 😊
I think it also needs a "These views are my own and not linked to Atlassian" disclaimer

As a Trello champion and Community Leader, I obviously have huge love for Trello, but as in all good relationships it doesn't stop me from calling them out when I don't agree with something.

I totally agree with your statement.  One of the things makes me choose Trello each and every day and makes me come back to Trello after working with other solutions is exactly what you describe.  Trello is unique because it doesn't fall into the trap of corporate b*llsh!t.  However, there is a downside to that.

The companies who create business tools have to provide continual growth in ARR to their shareholders. How do they do that?  It isn't enough to retain existing customers and get new ones.  The biggest thing is they have to find ways to convince their existing customers to spend more money.  This means taking the Apple, Google, Facebook, Instagram approach of getting people hooked on an the ecosystem, to continually provide new solutions to problems that didn't really exist, so that each an every time a new paid feature comes along, people jump on it without a seconds thought.

Trello bucks that Trend, this is why I love it, and I'm sure most of its 15million+ users love it. But, it isn't conducive to ARR growth and that is the problem.

Trello has to find ways of making this happen.  Adding features may increase number of new subscribers and keep the existing ones happy but is isn't going to significantly grow ARR on a product that is not on the steep user growth curve that new products are on, which won't keep the money men at the top happy for long.

So, they have to   

1. They have to find ways of making Trello as efficient as possible as a product to maintain and build new features.  This may involve simplifying the codebase, using common code with other Atlassian products and have some cross product integrations.
  2. They have to find a way to ensure that there is a fair balance between affordability and profitability (the change to the free subscription recently will be one example of this)
  3. They have to find a way to delight enough existing and new users to increase the paid subscription count as this is the only route to ARR growth

One thing I can also tell you from being a part of the Atlassian Trello Community is that the guys working on Trello at Atlassian are creative, motivated and really passionate about Trello.  Each and every time something is changed in Trello, the intention is for it to either provide a better user experience now or to unlock further potential in the future.  I can assure these guys are the good guys.

What can we all do about it? 

1. Report issues you face through https://trello.com/contact, the team does take notice of each one!
  2. Keep posting on this community, there are many of the Trello team at Atlassian frequenting here, as well as a small but very committed bunch of Trello Community leaders. 
    Right now this community generally consists of users asking a question about a problem and then disappearing when they get an answer. 
    The more this becomes a collaborative community where people are regularly involved, the more we will have a collective voice..
  3. Go to https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/TRELLO and vote for issues and requests you'd like to see.  
  4. Pay for Trello.  I know this is easier said than done and budgets vary but if you have a paid subscription, it helps the Trello cause and as I said, the Trello team are fighting hard against the tide of the products that exist today 
0 votes
Chandrashekhar Pandey
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 14, 2024

Hi,

Please go through this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJuXMA29y6I

0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2024

Hi @Nik Samoylov 

I don't use Firefox but testing on Chrome and Edge on WIN11 and Chrome on a Chromebook and i'm not seeing any issue. Could you do a little video recording of the issue? 

Nik Samoylov May 5, 2024

I'm happy to send via email to the support team. I cannot share the recording publicly.

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2024

Hi @Nik Samoylov 

I suggest that you do that, raise a support request and via https://trello.com/contact and add a Loom recording to the request in the link field....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events