Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organizing Butler Buttons

Duncan Garrett July 1, 2020

Hey guys - We recently moved to Trello and are trying to organize our workflow.

The thought was that we could use Butler buttons to do this, and overall it works well. One board for creating lists of tasks, and a template client board with buttons for each list of tasks was added, and we can copy in this month's tasks with a single click - Great!

The problem is, we have a number of separate lists for different stages of new client tasks, as well as a list of monthly tasks, a list for even-month tasks, a list for odd-month tasks, and lists for tasks performed each month for the first year. The end result is a LOT of buttons that clutter up the top of the board.

Is there a way to organize these? Group buttons into a drop-down menu or something similar? I had considered trying to use Rules and a progress checklist, but it doesn't seem like rules allow you to copy lists, just affect the card that triggers the rule.

1 answer

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2020

@Duncan Garrett  I have been working with Trello API wrapper a bit and as an example I did this in 1/2 day. With no Butler or no power ups. https://youtu.be/SKbiTvH1sVk

as you can see from the demo cards can move across to a specific column. With your specific requirements you may need to apply an automation tool and some development but using Trello like a repository of stuff. I did something similar for a course repository. 

Duncan Garrett July 15, 2020

@milynnus This does look like it could work with some fiddling. Could you clarify what you're using for this? So far I've been trying to figure out how to set up things and gotten three or four systems (Trellinator, powerup development, and the API) but haven't gotten a clear explanation of what the difference or limitations are between them.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2020

@Duncan Garrett  I am using a beta product called Wayscript. It has a set of Trello modules that allows you to get list of board and IDs, get all cards. create and update a card. It does not go into custom fields. Then there is a set of Triggers at card, list and board levels. It basically allow you to capture events on the board. Then there is py-trello and API wrapper which I used mainly with the triggers. More importantly Wayscript which is a low code platform has other stuff like timer triggers, f(x) calls, loops, if...etc when assembled together I got Ading. As completed Ading in 1/2 day only because I been fiddling with it.

Trelliantor, I have not used it but understand it is a means to execute the pieces of code witj Trello API and Google Script. My understanding is that it does need some setup with Google sheet to host your API key and token. The idea actually inspired me to build something similar. I am on second version.

I just got into custom Power Up which I built onto of Wayscript. I am using it for my Trellinator inspired system. Power Up develop need me to learn JS, HTML...etc so I did it is such as way that the heavy lifting is back on Wayscript and py-trello which I am already quite familiar. My challenge for Ading is to have a custom Power Up so I can use it to replace Superhero Checklist to be able to send any named sub-tasks checklist to any board and any list.

I still advocated Bulter if you can what you wanted to do. 

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2020

@Duncan Garrett 

I am using something called Wayscript which has Trello modules and 3 Triggers at Board, List and Card levels. When used with Wayscript low code capabilities like f(x), loops, timer triggers, if else, forms, http triggers for easy endpoint etc: ..I can do quite a bit of automation. Where I needed more complex business logic, I use python with py-trello libraries. The demo Ading was built on Wayscript.

Trellinator, though I did not use, it allows you to execute pieces of code using Trello API with Google Script. Iain Dooley has quite a number of handy gist in GitHub. I don't think you can string them together or put them behind buttons. Iain has a new "as a service" version. I actually built something like it on Wayscript. I am now on version 2.

Over the weekend, I actually built my first Power Up on Wayscript. Because you need JS and HTML skills, which I am no good, I decide that it should have a python backend instead. In fact, I am using on my version 2 of Superhero Power (aka similar what Iain has) which is a Trello board based implementation.

If I were a user of Trello I would want to use Butler as much as I can. Since I am more into building interesting stuff and more inclined to use Trello with Wayscript. So far, I have Telegram with Trello, MVPs of a learning portals, Superhero Ading, and now a New Superhero Power

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2020

@Duncan Garrett para 2 of my last reply. I have my first demo on video. One of the frames show a glimpse of Wayscript that I used to create this "as a service" application.

https://www.loom.com/share/c562846b031148f5afc706b618d0ba2e

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events