Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of days the task was late or completed in advance.

Augusto Greuel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 26, 2023

Hello! I'm trying to figure how can I know the number of days the task was late or completed in advance for a given card. Let's suppose that I set a due date and when I mark it as completed (or move it to a list "Completed"), I'd like to know how many days it was late or early based on that due date.

I know that there power ups that can actually do this, but for this moment I'm trying to find a way that is free. The best free alternative I could find was the "Card Age Badge" power up, where it starts to count the age of the card since it was created. I wanted it to stop counting when it was moved to "Completed" list and then check how many days it took and how it compares to the due date.

1 answer

0 votes
Vishaal S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2023

Hey Augusto,

Good day to you :)

You can accomplish this task using Trello's built-in features, without needing to use a Power-Up. You can use the card's activity history along with the due date to calculate how many days a task was completed in advance or how late it was.

Here are the steps to do this:

• Set the due date for the card when you create it.
  • Once the task is completed and the card is moved to the "Completed" list, click on the card to open it.
  • In the card's activity history (on the right-hand side of the card), you will see an entry showing when the card was moved to the "Completed" list. The timestamp of this action is the completion date.
  • Now, you can compare the due date with the completion date. If the completion date is before the due date, the task was completed early. If the completion date is after the due date, the task was completed late.
  • To calculate the number of days early or late, simply subtract the due date from the completion date. If the result is negative, the task was completed early. If the result is positive, the task was completed late.

Please note that this method requires manual calculation. If you have a large number of cards or need to do this frequently, it might be worth considering a Power-Up or third-party tool that can automate this process for you.

You can also use the Trello API to automate this process if you have programming skills. The API allows you to retrieve the due date and the date when the card was moved to a different list, so you can write a script to calculate the difference between these two dates.

Let me know if you need further assistance!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events