Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking to .mxf files

Kate P July 12, 2023

Hello, 

I am having an issue with opening links that I put in cards for the .mxf format. All of my files are located in a Box file folder. mp4s and all other links are working fine. 

To view .mxf files, I use the VLC media player. Is a working link even possible with .mxf files?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
Oliver S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 13, 2023

Hi Kate, welcome to the community!

Just to double check, are you attaching the .mxf files by browsing your computer and uploading them directly?

Or, sounds more like you might be pasting the .mxf file links from Box itself?

What happens when you attempt to open them? Does it directly download the file?

Kate P July 14, 2023

Hi Oliver, 

I am pasting the .mxf files from Box. 

When I click the link to open them once pasted in Trello, it says I cannot open that type of file. We use VLC to view these files but we would like to not have to download it and view on screen like we can with the mp4s. 

I cannot place the file directly in Trello either because the file exceeds the size limit. So that option is out. 

We're trying to streamline and avoid too many downloads.

Thank you, 

Kate

Oliver S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 16, 2023

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the additional context.

From doing some research, it sounds like this comes down to the Box site not being able to preview this file type - hence the need to use something like VLC as a player that supports a wider variety of file formats.

Are you able to convert the videos to a more common file format before uploading them? Box lists some of the video formats that they support in Box content preview: https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/360043695794-Viewing-Different-File-Types-Supported-in-Box-Content-Preview#Type_VideoFiles

For example, MP4 is quite a common format.

Worth noting that Box does require a certain level of account to gain access to video preview, so worthwhile checking if you meet those requirements.

Kate P July 17, 2023

Oliver, 

Thank you for your second response. 

Unfortunately, due to the media company I will be releasing these files through, the .mxf files have to stay in that format, in addition to preview purposes. .Mp4s load and preview fine for us and we pay for Box so you are probably correct about the file format.

Thanks again, 

Kate

Oliver S
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2023

Hi Kate, no problems. As the files are being loaded and accessed through Box, my best suggestion would be to file feedback on this through Box support: https://support.box.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044196573-Box-Pulse-How-to-submit-product-feedback

Given the need to have the files remain in this format (understandable), and given you need to store them on Box due to the larger file size - it would make sense to let them know you want to see this added as a format that can be previewed via the web. :) Hope this helps somewhat.

Like Kate P likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events