Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Admin Rights on a Board within Our Workspace

Sebastian Vogt March 6, 2024

Hello Trello Community,

I am encountering an unusual situation with the administration of a board within our Trello workspace and would appreciate any guidance or tips.

I, along with two other users, serve as admins for our Trello workspace. Recently, while reviewing the member overview, I noticed a user listed under "Guests" who should no longer have access to our boards.

Upon closer inspection, I discovered that this user is assigned as an admin to a board which is no longer actively used and can be archived or closed. However, when I access this board, I find that I am only able to join as a regular user and do not have the capability to upgrade my role to an administrator to close the board and remove this guest user from our workspace.

This situation seems peculiar to me. As a workspace admin, shouldn't I have control over all the boards within our workspace? Moreover, I've noticed a similar issue with two other boards where, despite being a workspace admin, I am unable to assign myself as a board admin. It appears that a guest user has more rights than a workspace admin in this scenario.

Could you please help me understand where my reasoning might be flawed? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Sebastian

1 answer

0 votes
Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2024

Hi @Sebastian Vogt! All Workspace members in free Workspaces are equally considered admins of the Workspace, but the capabilities of free admins are limited compared to in our paid plans, especially when it comes to control over other users and the boards they've created.

We have improvements to admin functionality in free Workspaces coming very soon, so that you'll be able to fully remove any member or guest from the Workspace. You still won't be able to directly remove another user's board, but if you remove a user from the Workspace and there are no other Workspace members remaining on the board, the board will be closed automatically.

You could also start a free trial of Trello Premium to get expanded admin functionality. In Trello Standard and Trello Premium, Workspace admins also have admin permissions on every board within the Workspace, regardless of who created that board.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events