Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to add detailed descriptions to Trello checklist items?

Wiktor Szary September 2, 2022

My team are using Trello for managing the backlog and often we find ourselves wanting to add further details to a checklist item (say a detailed description of a task). We currently embed another card as a checklist item but then have to store all embedded cards in a separate column which is super clunky. Any suggestions? 

1 answer

0 votes
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2022

@Wiktor Szary welcome to the community! Jumped in here to recommend making the checklist item a link to another card, but seems you've already tried that. I'm not sure I have a better recommendation honestly. I think I'm confused maybe what you're looking for? You can make the checklist items as long as you want and they accept markdown formatting, so if you just want to include a description in it, you could format them by making the "title" bold, and then adding a description in italics, like this maybe? 

image.png

Wiktor Szary September 3, 2022

Thanks @Brittany Joiner ! Appreciate your swift response. 

The tasks themselves will often have descriptions that run for multiple paragraphs so just adding the description as part of the checklist itself is not really an option.  

The problem with embedding a link to another card is that we have to store the embedded cards somewhere and they currently pile up in a column we called "nested" which is very clunky. We also have to remove them after ticking off the checklist item which creates extra work. 

This is how Todoist has solved for this:

Screenshot 2022-09-03 at 09.26.11.png

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 3, 2022

@Wiktor Szary you could create some automations that would make the linked cards a little easier (and you could store them in another board even if that would make it less cluttered). Here's a video i made about some of those automations!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events