Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use a dynamic match function to move a card from one board to another

Glen Chapman May 15, 2024

Hello, I am trying to automate this process:

1. A card is created and it has a label with a custom name, say, IMPORT, the color is irrelevant.

2. Automation would search the new card for the label name, any label name as they would be names of customers so it will be different each time.

3. It would match the label name to another board in my workspace that has the same name as the label and was created beforehand, in this case, Label = IMPORT, Board = IMPORT

4. It would move the card from the original board to the IMPORT board and place it in the first list.

The issue that I am running into is that the only fields that support dynamic automations are: list names, card titles, card descriptions, and comments. The other automations require a known value to be present to match the automations search. 

Is there a way to program the automation in a way that looks like this:

when a card with a label is added to list "To Do", find a board titled "{*}", and move the card to list "To Do" on the first board found

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2024

@Glen Chapman maybe try something like this:

when any label is added to a card, move the card to the top of list "To Do" on board "{cardlabelnames}"

A couple of follow-up questions with that:

1. Can a card have more than one label?
2. Do all card labels relate to a board name, or are there other label types? E.g. priority

Glen Chapman May 16, 2024

That's a great automation line however I don't know where I can add in custom lines like that since they deprecated Butler and replaced it with the "drag and drop" style automation lines. Where can I access a custom automation interface that allows me to work in that style?

Great questions:

1. A card will only have one label and that is the board name it needs to go to

2. Yes, the label will relate to the board in which the card will need to live. These need to be "matched" for an automation, not pre-populated as they relate to new customers.  

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2024

@Glen Chapman see below:

label automation.gif

This should work just fine if you're only adding one label to the card, that label will always relate to the destination board, and the label name is spelled exactly the same as the board name. 

If in the future you want to use labels for other purposes, I'd recommend using a single select field instead, like a dropdown custom field. 

Glen Chapman May 17, 2024

Thank you for the video support, that was super helpful. After more poking around, I agree with you that labels may not be the best target for the automation. Experimenting with other options in custom fields, etc. 

Appreciate you!

Community Leader
Community Leader
May 17, 2024

You're very welcome! 😊

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events