Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a card stay in the DONE folder

Erin Bellinghausen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 30, 2024

I am using trello as a project tracker for print orders and graphic design projects. Once the project is done, how long does it stay there? is it limited to a time frame? or a storage limitation?

Hoping I can refer to history within the done folder for re-orders and backstory behind previous graphic design projects :D  or is there a way to archive each project?

1 answer

0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2024

Hi @Erin Bellinghausen 

Trello is great because it is a tool that doesn't tell you what to do, rather you tell it...

By default, if you have a DONE list, it will stay in there until you want it to go and there are several options, here are some examples:

1. You can move it or archive it manually
  2. You can set an automation that archives any cards in DONE >X days
  3. You create an automation button that archives all cards in the DONE list when you click it 

Note, there are limits in Trello for the number of open cards on a board (ones that haven't been archived). 

The hard limit is 5000 cards but I find performance starts to degrade when you go above 2000.  

However archived cards don't affect performance and the limit is huge (200000 per board)

To get started with automation, I suggest you look at these links:

The simplest example for what you want would be something like below:

Screenshot 2024-05-01 10.10.18.png

You can see this article for more help:

https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/archiving-cards-automatically/  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events