Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get attachments/files to attach to the original linked card?

Christie Titanium Black March 12, 2020

I have figured out how to mirror cards between boards. 

We have client workflow boards which have mirrored cards on our staff workflow board. The staff then upload their final document to their own board and move it to complete. 

I can get the original card in the clients workflow board to mirror that and move into Complete.

What I can't figure out is how to get file attachments in the staff workflow card to show up in the original client card. 

Please help!!!! 

Thanks 

1 answer

1 vote
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 12, 2020

@Christie Titanium Black you can do this with the following butler command:

when an attachment is added to a card, find the first card linked in the attachments, and add link "{attachmentlink}"

However, because Butler allows itself to trigger commands, this command means that when you create a card link it's always reciprocal and when you attach the file it "loops" twice, I think Butler cuts it off at that point because it detects the loop.

If you wanted to stop that from happening, you'd have to do something like initially copy the card with a label added to it like "Unlinked" which you then remove when you initially run the command, and then filter it so that you only process it when the linked card has the "Unlinked" label on it.

There might be a better way, not sure off hand ... 

This Trellinator command would do the same thing but would only process the link when Trellinator itself hadn't taken the action:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/96703842965fedd32090e41d171d95ce

You'll notice that it attaches the file to the linked card *as a link* not as a file -- although the API seems to suggest you can do a file upload I've never been able to make it work. so the file will still be downloadable but it will look a bit different on the linked card because it will show up as a link to the file in S3.

I have done this for a couple of clients where, instead of just attaching the link, I first download the file to Google Drive, then link to the drive file on the linked card instead.

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events