Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use a long drop down list to select new card titles from.

nathan standridge January 26, 2020

I have a long list of up to 100 numeric cost code line items that I would like to be able to pick the title of new cards from.  The number code format is two tiered   example: 00-000   

I've tried using custom field drop down lists but need several due to the length of the list.  Having the cost code line item in the title and in the custom field on the card seems redundant, as I only want to see it in the title.    How do I reference the long list in the title but keep the list hidden on the card or elsewhere.  

2 answers

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2020

Hi @nathan standridge 

It's a bit long winded, but you could create 100 template cards, it'd take some time, but then when you added a new card, you could add it from a template and the title would be there, so you'd only have to do it once. 

In fact there is an easier way, if you have a list of the cost codes somewhere (say a list in Word), you can highlight them all and copy them. then head to trello, open a single new card, and paste all the values. 

Trello will then ask if you want to make 1 card or 100 separate cards, pick 100 separate cards, which will add each cost code as a single card in the list. Then you can either go to the back of the card and 'copy' when you want to use it, or you can go to the back of the card and click 'make template.' You'd have to do this 100 times, but it would do what you want.

Then when you wanted to create a new card, each of the templates would show up when you click the 'add new card from template' button at the bottom of the list.

Maybe this would work for you with the least amount of friction?

Esme :)

nathan standridge February 1, 2020

Esme, this is perfect thank you:  Maybe you can help with the next phase of what I am trying to build.  The cost codes are used for each new project.  Each project has several different work flows which add their unique info to the code cards. I am thinking I will have a different board for each workflow and mirror the code cards between the different boards so that the cards are synced and become the repository for all the information and status on the project, coming from the different boards.  Not sure how mirroring and syncing works in this scenario.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2020

Hi Nathan,

Glad it worked!

Ok, so if you want to mirror cards, there is a way to do it with a paid PowerUp called Unito (https://unito.io/integration/trello-trello/)

However, if you want to have a single cost code card to contain all information from all over, then this can probably be achieved with Butler. If this is what you think you want, can you give me a case example (nothing personal of course) and tell me all the moving parts and I can come up with Butler rule/s that will do that for you (I'm a bit of a Butler nerd!).

Let me know :)

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2020

Hi

You can create a card with 100 checklists which are named like cost code line items

Then you can create a butler rule which involve card naming with a pattern based on the selected checklistname and the itemname.

For example,

when an item is added to checklist "{*}", convert the item to a linked card using pattern "{checklistitemname} {wildcard1}"

https://help.trello.com/article/1156-pattern-matching-and-wildcards

nathan standridge January 26, 2020

Thank you Ludo, I think I understand, but wondering why use 100 lists and not one list with 100 items?  

Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2020

In this case, the proposed trigger is no more valid. It is based only on item adding.

If you want one list with 100 items, you must change the trigger. How do you assign a new card to the  corresponding item ? Which trigger can be associated ?  Triggers from existing item are limited.

Maybe it is possible but sure, it will be more difficult.

Like nathan standridge likes this
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2020

Can you please accept the answer so that it can be referred by other users in future.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events