How can I switch off the new Editor ? It's catastrophic in my case

Pierre-Yves Mathys February 5, 2023

I have a lot of card which include css and html solutions.

And as a good habit, any code includes a comment to explain the solution. 

With the new editor all my css comment are changed by interpreting the MarkDown

Is it possible to switch off both : new editor and MarkDown ? 

PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   over 150 cards.......

Exemple of text I keep in a card (before was working well - just have to open the card, copy, paste // now I loose all my /* and */ marks.... ) : 

/* --------------------------------- */
/* */
/* CSS GENERAL COMMUNS */
/* =================== */
/* */
/* --------------------------------- */

/* CTA MENU BOUTON */
/* -- version desktop -- */
@media only screen and ( min-width: 981px ) {
.cta_menu a {
color: #191919 !important;
font-size:13px!important;
background-color: #f2e3ad !important;
padding: 8px 20px !important; /* espace up down - droite gauche | dessusTxt aprèsTxt dessousTxt avantTxt */
margin-top: -13px;/* distance top et haut du bouton */
margin-bottom: 10px; /* distance bas et bas du bouton */
border-radius: 0px;
box-shadow: 0px 10px 30px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
}
.et-fixed-header #top-menu .cta_menu a {
}
}

/* -- version mobile -- */
@media only screen and ( max-width: 980px ) {
.cta_menu a {
font-size:13px!important;
background-color: #f2e3ad !important;
text-align:center;
padding: 12px 0px 12px 0px !important; /* espace ds bouton : dessusTxt aprèsTxt dessousTxt avantTxt */
margin-top: 10px;/* distance top et haut du bouton */
margin-bottom: 10px; /* distance bas et bas du bouton */
border-radius: 0px;
box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px 0px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
}
.et-fixed-header #top-menu .cta_menu a {
color: #fff !important;
}
}
/* OPTIONS DU MENU DESKTOP !!! mettre le bon nom du menu ciblé */
/* on hover */
#top-menu li a:hover,
.top-menu a:hover,
#liennova a:hover,
#mleg a:hover{
text-decoration: underline 3px !important;
text-shadow:none!important;
color:#fff4de!important;
}
/* active option */
#top-menu li.current-menu-item > a {
text-decoration: none !important;
text-shadow:none!important;
}

/* DESIGN LIGNE DE FOND */
#txtcopyright,
#liennova,
#liennova a,
#mleg a{
/* font-family: 'yeon sung';*/
font-size:9.5px;
font-weight:500; /* ou lighter ou 300 */
line-height: 2.9;
/* text-transform: uppercase; */
letter-spacing: 0.15em;
/* color:#ffffff!important; */
background-color: transparent!important;
color: inherit!important;
border: 0px!important;
}
#liennova,
#liennova a{
color:#fff4de!important;
}

12 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alisson Sartor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2023

Hello, Pierre!

Welcome to the community!

If you want to revert back to the editor that you're used to, for a very limited time period, you can turn this off by clicking on the “Share feedback” link just below the editor and then clicking “Turn off”.

However, please be aware that in the coming months, we are permanently going to this new editor experience for all users so we do appreciate any feedback before then.

Kind regards
Alisson
Trello Team

I can't believe in this. Why will be the users obligated to use this new editor? Sincerely, I didn't appreciate this new editor. Like @Pierre-Yves Mathys, I use the cards for others examples and the old editor is the best.

Please, sincerely, consider to keep booth editor versions at the same time forever.

Thanks

Like # people like this
Alisson Sartor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 9, 2023

Hello, Minas Engenharia!

You can click the “Share feedback" blue button to fill up the survey on the experience you have, and can definitely ask for the legacy version to be kept. Every feedback and suggestion you have will be deeply appreciated. 

Kind regards
Alisson
Trello Team

Adrian February 22, 2023

I'm glad there's an option to turn the feature off.

I've left feedback as to why I don't want it.  But basically, I want to deal with text with minimal formatting.  Not deal with an editor that wants to format everything.

Why would I want it to assume that new lines have paragraph spacing?

Like # people like this
Alisson Sartor
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2023

Hello, Adrian!

Thanks for sharing your opinion in the feedback, our team will definitely take it into consideration!

Kind regards
Alisson
Trello team

Anthony Smith May 9, 2023

Simply impossible to work with, this cannot be enforced, if it is we have to look for an alternative solution which would mean for everything.

I mean, copying and pasting a few lines out of a spreadsheet now uploads the entire file? who thought that was a good idea?

Its not just about resisting change, this destroys workflows, the exact opposite of the purpose of the entire product. 

Like # people like this
Shane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 8, 2024

It seems like the work around no longer works. Why would you remove this feature?

Does anyone have a workaround for this so we do not have to use this horrible editor?

Like xymbol likes this
12 votes
Diane Taylor March 3, 2023

HATE the new editor with a passion. If I cannot permanently keep it OFF then I will seriously consider another way of managing my information.

It is not intuitive enough and keeps adding extra spacing after each paragraph WHICH I DO NOT WANT. Let me keep single line spacing for everything and don't try to second-guess what my formatting needs are.

Alisson Sartor
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2023

Hello, Diane!

Can you leave feedback also on the “Share feedback" blue button and fill up the survey?

Kind regards
Alisson
Trello team

Beatrix Paal May 1, 2023

Oh gosh, I hate the new editor too!! WHY NOT AT LEAST HAVE THE OPTION TO KEEP USING THE OLD ONE????

It is not a disaster in my case like for the person whose code got destroyed, but it is super annoying that the Trello robot is trying to interpret what I want.  And then, it does not take a "no" for an answer.

Here is a super simple example:

Try to start a normal paragraph with the characters "1." (one followed by a period). This is not going to be a list, you just happen to want to start a paragraph with these two characters.  But it either gets indented or it loses the "1."  

Or try to start a list; type "1." and let the robot turn it into a list. Then add some normal text in a few new paragraphs. (So far so good). Now try adding a second list item numbered "2."  If you make it indented, it cannot be "2", it will revert to "1.", so now you have two list items that each start with "1."  Or, you can keep the "2", but then it has to be a normal paragraph, and not indented.

Whoever designed this editor is trying to reinvent the wheel.  MS Word has gone through these problems like 30 years ago!  Numbered lists are complicated unless each list item is a single word.  Please just let me handle them manually!!!!

Like # people like this
Alisson Sartor
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2023

Hello, Beatrix!

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

Can you leave this feedback also on the “Share feedback" blue button and fill up the survey?

Kind regards
Alisson
Trello team

American Roof Supplements October 7, 2023

There is not a “Share feedback" button any more??? Where did it go???

Like # people like this
7 votes
Philippe Bardon June 5, 2023

Please leave us using the Markdown editor as we want. I don't want at all to work with this editor and I'll consider moving from Trello.

7 votes
Tammy Turner May 9, 2023

Yay! I've found this helpful link on another thread  ... it will allow you to go back to the old version of non-WYSIWYG editing. You have to reboot Trello to get it to work after turning it off. 

go to This link  (with your username, not mine haha) and then you can disable it. 

image.png

sfkleach June 2, 2023

Unfortunately this option does not stick. Trello keep forcing you to try their editor. We do not want to be guinea pigs for yet another WYSWYG editor. By all means keep it for those people who like it but please do not force it on those of us for whom markdown is is fine.

Like # people like this
Tammy Turner June 2, 2023

I have not had this problem. It has stuck...

Like Wojciech Biegański likes this

Tammy Turner you are an Angel!!!!!!

Jonny Gomez October 12, 2023

THANK YOU TAMMY!!! This editor is beyond awful. The people have spoken Atlassian. Make it right. 

Beatrix Paal October 17, 2023

OMG, Thank you!!!

Soros Liu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 20, 2023

Thank you!

vertikaldienst January 13, 2024

regarding "STICKING" it will only be "STICK" to one browser on one mashine one any new Mashine or different browser you have to repeat the procedure...AND in case you share your cards with other User you have to inform them as well, because their action could still change your formating....quite a dissaster

BUT I found an ADON from some third party that at least prevents the new edtor from editing your Link BUT I lost it before installing, in case someone has it please leave a noteher or better contact me direktly Thank you

4 votes
Anthony Smith May 9, 2023

The fact that we/I had to google how to turn it off should tell you that the invisible share feedback is not clear and will not give you real feedback, it should be an enforced pop over 'We have switched you to a new editor, if you don't like it...... "

Alisson Sartor
Atlassian Team
May 9, 2023

Hey, Anthony.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add this internally as well.

Kind Regards,

pajacz June 1, 2023

I do agree, the new editor causes me a headache as I do type fast and takes ages to "initialise" or mention someone by using @.. 

When i click to add comment and do start typing immediately but editor is still initialising, so trello consume my key stokes as "hot keys" and start moving, archiving.. etc..  DISASTER !!! Please rollback or keep the option to turn it off.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Alisson Sartor
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2023

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add this internally as well.

Kind Regards,

2 votes
Thilo Rusche July 19, 2023

Same here, no feedback button that I can see. I've disabled the editor via /labs, but if this becomes a permanent "feature" with no way of disabling it, we will have to move away from Trello. Using raw markdown is a must for any software development team.

2 votes
Kyala Shea July 11, 2023

I don't see a Share Feedback link as mentioned above, so I assume this feedback feature has since been turned off.

But I echo the concerns above; I was initially very excited to see the new editor and appreciated the quick shortcuts for some formatting. However, the implementation is clearly not complete and there are far too many bugs for the editor to be usable, let alone useful.

As others have mentioned, many actions take far too long to return, such that I usually end up tagging myself (the default option), even though I've typed several characters of the recipients name and then the enter key.

As others have mentioned, the numbered list formatting is very simplistic and doesn't cover a bare minimum of needed cases. The list formatting seems almost completely broken. I can never get it to apply to the list lines exclusively; it always applies either to lines above and below (though separated by multiple newlines) and often applies erratically. The same is true of text formatting; it's extremely difficult to get header formatting to apply only the the line of header text rather than to lines above or below it.

The lack of flexibility with line spacing is also restricting.

I hope Trello will keep working on this feature, but always give users the ability to toggle it off, and at the very least keep that ability in place until the editor functions smoothly.

Thanks for considering our feedback.

Alisson Sartor
Atlassian Team
July 12, 2023

Hello, Kyala!

Thank you very much for the feedback. I agree with you that keeping this toggle option can be the best solution here, being flexible on this might be the best option.

You can still disable the editor here in https://trello.com/my/labs

Kind Regards,

Like siteimpulse2 likes this
1 vote
Johan R
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 23, 2024

Since there is no more feedback button, I just want to echo what most people here have said. The new editor is terrible, thank god it can still be turned off or we would have had to switch away from Trello altogether, since it added so many headaches and delays in our workflow.

My guess is that the new editor is a way to try to capture a more general, non-tech audience to broaden the market, but doing so is definitely alienating the core customer base.

It would be interesting to see how many of the developers at Trello that use the new editor (by choice). My guess would be few to none.

1 vote
Tim Washington August 21, 2023

I too hate the new editor. It slows everything down. I have multiple reasons for turning this off. Atlassian, do not force us to the new editor. It makes it harder and slower to mention people, upload files, etc. The classic editor works very well. I was very frustrated when I had to use the new editor.

0 votes
AWL NSW Illawarra
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 23, 2024

Vote added for continuing to maintain option to toggle off new editor...

0 votes
AWL NSW Illawarra
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 24, 2023

AAAARGH. We've been swapped to the new editor and past puts everything from 10-12 lines on a single line minus spaces. Help...

0 votes

What is the reasoning for going to the new editor? It takes my text that I have been using for 5 years and completely messes everything up. My whole business runs with this app. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS??????????

sfkleach October 9, 2023

I think this is the high-handed attitude that gives Atlassian a dirty name amongst engineers, I am very sorry to say. I presume that Atlassian have done their research and found there is a majority of users who welcome this, it's absurd to imagine that it will be appreciated by long-standing users.

Having once been a cheerleader for Trello, I now warn new developers to stay clear of this product. I am very sorry, but it has consigned itself to internet history.

vertikaldienst December 13, 2023

I have over 3000 Cards that depend on the formating as it was before, it will take me months, to have a proper workflow again, was hoping they take as well the superfluos stuff the put around links and email, but it seems they didn't...on my Mac on Crome I can still work with the old editor, but tried to log in with another Mac and there Crome even though logged into my crome account just shows me the new editor

Dissaster!!!!

Like xymbol likes this
Y I
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 20, 2024

フィードバックを送信

がなくなって、

Markdownヘルプ

になりました。

どうやって戻しますか。

Shane
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 21, 2024

I was told by support that for now you can visit https://trello.com/my/labs and toggling off ‘{*}WYSIWYG Editing{*}.'

For now...  Markdown support will be deprecated soon.

I encourage as many people to open support tickets with Atlassian and ask how to disable the 'New' rich text editor.

This was one of the reasons our development team decided to work with our sales team on Trello. Since we were able to provide reports and updates via markdown.

Manually updating this information is not useful.  The editor rarely works well or allows us to provide formatting once we paste unformatted text in the editor.

I hope you are listening Trello.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events