Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Automation of Recurring tasks with Checklists

Deleted user June 1, 2022

Hi fellow Trelloers… new to this and enjoying the experience so far.

Looking for some help with Automating a Checklist and the actions undertaken when it is completed. We have a lot of Recurring tasks that occur Weekly, Fortnight, Monthly, etc and each task has its own unique and different checklist. We have set the automation up so that when the Card is finished it is archived but a new Card is created for a future date. The Checklist in that new card we are creating is from a template but I’m wondering if it’s possible for the checklist in the new card can be copied directly from that card that has been archived. Hopefully, there is a simple solution I just haven’t come across it as yet.

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Hi @[deleted] ! Welcome to the community :) would it work to copy the card that was moved to complete? That way, the checklist will be copied, but you can reset this newly created card so that it gets a new name, date, labels, etc.

Hi Hannah, thanks for the reply.  Copying the card moments before completion would work for sure, but i guess my concern here is that adds a layer of human intervention and reliance on my team to copy that card and reset the dates etc.  if that isn't done, that card will then be archive on completion and lost.

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

@[deleted] the idea I had in mind was to use butler automation to copy the card. The automation rule could be triggered when a card is moved to a complete list/marked as complete/archived. So something like this:

When a card is archived, copy the card without comments to the bottom of the list "Backlog", rename the card to "X", set due date to "X", remove labels, etc. etc.

When a card is copied, the checklists will be reset to incomplete, but note that any advanced checklist information (members/due dates) will be copied as well. Butler can apply a new due date to the newly created card, and you might be able to automatically set the due dates on the checklist items as well if you need that.

0 votes

Thanks Hannan - that shows some progress.  Well just have to work out how we deal with the Advanced info we are using like Approvals which we are having issues resetting

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2022

@[deleted] 

You want to use checklist from a template card to get a clean checklist. Depending on your workflow, you can use the card that is being archived … probably {triggercardlink} inside the target to add a checklist. Try it. 

Hi Milynnus, could you perhaps share a screen dump with that trigger involved?  We tried that and the Checklist didn't carry forward.  Yes we could have a template, but the way my checklists work, I could have about 50 templates and it would be easier to recreate the card from the card being completed

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2022

@[deleted] 

I have not tested this but the idea is thisScreen Shot 2022-06-02 at 10.22.43 AM.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events