Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FEATURE REQUEST: Add "Sort by Date Modified"

inspirednz May 2, 2020

Currently we can sort the cards in a board by date created (oldest or newest first).

I would like to suggest adding the option to sort by date modified (oldest or newest first). In my workflow, this would in many instances be more useful than date created.

3 answers

2 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2020

Hi @inspirednz 

Welcome to the Community!

This can actually be done using Butler and Custom Fields.

I have a date custom field and every time I change something on a card (like add a comment) it updates the date and time in the Custom Field.

I've called my Custom Field 'Last Updated' because I have zero imagination and know that if I call it something interesting and random I'll completely forget what it is and why it's there and probably delete it!

Then, in the 3 dots at the top of the list, you can organise by dated custom fields:

Screenshot 2020-05-03 at 14.25.51.png

Hope that helps! I can share my Butler rules if you'd like, so that any time something happens in the card, the 'Last Updated' CF changes. 

Hope this helps

Esme :)

I would point out that I'm a Business Class user, so my Butler quotas are high. Hence being able to make multiple changes within a card, then automate multiple changes to the Last Updated custom field without worrying about running out of Butler Commands

1 vote
Gershon Silins December 14, 2020

Apparently this can be done through the steps outlined above. I suggest, however, that Trello will be immeasurably improved by making "Sort by date modified" a straightforward choice in the menu. Why not?

1 vote
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2020

Hi @inspirednz ,

Welcome to the group!

This is a really useful feature request!

But this can be done by Butler & Custom fields!

Please follow the steps shown by @Esme Crutchley .

inspirednz May 7, 2020

Thanks for the suggestion.

As I don't own Butler, and I'd rather not have to buy and run additional software simply to sort cards on Trello, I am going to pass on that workaround for now. Surely it's more efficient for this simply feature to be added into Trello than for users to have to buy and run additional software as a workaround.

Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2020

Hi @inspirednz 

Butler is enabled on all boards on all account types, so you should be able to find it either at the top of the board, or click 'Show Menu' and Butler will be the 6th option down.

Hope that's helpful :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events