Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom background image button is grayed out

Thomas Jansson March 9, 2020

Hello

It would seem that I'm unable to change my background in my own trelloboard to a custom one. The plus button is grayed out and nothing happens when I click it.

I'm admin over my own board and I'm the only one in it.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Custom backgrounds are only for Trello Plus users...

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Alin Buda April 28, 2020

Before Trello was purchased by Atlassian, it used to be the cool wild kid in the school court yard. Now is growing up and turns into a hipsterish young adult that won't talk to you unless you wear suspenders.

Thomas Jansson April 28, 2020

Fear not Alin, atleast I seemed to have earned the level 1 badge after you liked my comment... Atleast the badges are in the free plan... Great

Like # people like this
Alin Buda April 28, 2020

me too, now we are like two posh kids with badges even if the problem is still unsolved. Let's see how long it takes to get enough badges so we can replace a god damn background image. :)) 

Like # people like this
Jon Bray August 12, 2020

I've been wondering the same thing. It seems very silly that you can't upload a custom background on a free plan. Especially for a private board... But silly decisions happen every time there's an acquisition.

I wonder what topics this decision took precedent over during that meeting. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall when that suggestion was made.

Like # people like this
Darryl Cheek August 27, 2020

Item #73

Custom Backgrounds:

Gee wiz guys I think that free users should have to use the hundreds of HD photos that we have now for boards that only they are going to see.  So if we charge them to put a crappy picture that their dog took by mistake while flinging the phone out the moving car window, we can make even more money.  Everyone will pay for a membership to put their kids, dogs, cats, hamsters picture up as a back ground.

All in favor? 

AYE!!!!!  Item passed.... Moving on to ........... (SMH)

Like Sharri Justice likes this
Antonio Ceredi December 12, 2020

Whoever added this idiotic feature, you sir, are an asshole.

Like Clément likes this
0 votes
Antonio Ceredi December 12, 2020

No. Just NO!

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2020

Hello @Thomas Jansson

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

As you can see in the documentation below, only Trello Gold and Business Class subscribers can upload custom board backgrounds by clicking the grey box with a "+" sign in it located under "Custom" in the board backgrounds menu:

Changing board backgrounds 

On the free plan, you can only update your Trello board with the backgrounds provided in the application itself, not being able to update custom images. Can you confirm if you are added to those plans?

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thomas Jansson March 11, 2020

So my organization is paying millions of dollar to have Confluence and Jira... But I can't even set a custom background on my trello because it's the "free" plan?... Ok.

I'll just make a chrome plugin to do it for me then.

Like # people like this
Jon Bray August 12, 2020

Wow, that is an extremely petty decision to restrict custom backgrounds to Trello Gold & Business Class subscriptions. Of all the features, addons, and upgrades that incentivize usersto upgrade, no custom backgrounds for free users. Seriously?

@Petter Gonçalves What is the rationale behind this decision?

@Thomas Jansson If you've made a plugin could you please share? I tried running a custom background through Dark Reader and another custom style plugin but the results were not great.

Like Clément likes this
Darryl Cheek August 27, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves I have but one question..........

WHY??

Thomas Jansson August 28, 2020

@Jon Bray Hey, sadly no, I never got around to it. But considering the traction this thread is getting, I just might. I'll report back if I do.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events