Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Butler sync cards across boards?

Andie Lopez February 25, 2020

Hello!

I've been trying to have Butler link cards on different boards and create actions based on the activity of one card to the other. Is that possible? I've been reading lots of articles about what to achieve with Butler on Trello but everything I can find is from the old Power-Up and not the new integrated feature. I tried adding rules but it's unable to, for example, find a checklist from a card that's on a different board.

What I would like is the following:

1. When Card A on Board B is moved to the done List, the item on Checklist C, from Card D on Board E, which is called A (just like the card on Board B) gets marked as checked. 
  2. When item A on Checklist C from Card D, Board E is checked, Card D moves to List F (All within Board E) 
  3. And so on with each item on Checklist C, moving along the different Lists of Board E

Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Ludo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2020

Hi, 

I suggest you to apply this rules 

The first rule allows to check item in the task when the sub task is done

when a card is added to list "Done", for each card linked in the attachments, check item "{triggercardlink}"

The second rule allows to consider a task as done when all checklists are completed

when all checklists are completed in a card, move the card to the top of list "Done"

It is complicate to define the new list of a card when a item is checked, except if the name of checked item corresponds to the name of the new list. In this case, you can use a rule like this 

when the "{*}" item is checked, move the card to the top of list "{wildcard1}"

https://help.trello.com/article/1156-pattern-matching-and-wildcards

Or you can use a rule like this 

when the "{*}" item is checked, move the card to the next list on the board

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2020

@Andie Lopez @Ludo I think for the second part of the requirements Andie is looking for something like this:

when an item is checked, find a card with link "{checklistitemname}", and move the card to the "Done" list

Since you're working with linked cards both ways this should deal with things across boards just fine. You'll install the first command Board B and the second command on Board E

Andie Lopez February 27, 2020

Thank you both @Iain Dooley and @Ludo ! I'll try this as soon as I discover where to submit this code directly? The way Butler works now is that it leads you through certain pre-made choices and lets you modify as you go, but I can't find a place where to input the commands as you've suggested above!

Andie Lopez February 27, 2020

YES! I got the first command running! Sadly free Trello only allows me to write one rule :( But that's a huge advance! Thank you so much!!!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events