Add a member to the card when assigning it to a checklist

baptiste-gilles March 29, 2023

I cannot automatically add a member to a card when assigning this member in a item checklist.

Please note, I am talking here about assigning an item from a checklist to a member (Premium function) and not the simple mention in the item itself.

2 answers

0 votes
Ashley Joyce _USWDS_Digital_gov Contractor_ She_Her_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2024

Hi! I wanted to bump this to see if its been solved. We're in desperate need of this functionality!

0 votes
Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2023

Hi @baptiste-gilles 

it is not possible to automatically add a member to a card when assigning them to a checklist item.

When you assign a member to a checklist item, it only associates their avatar with the item and does not add them as a member to the card. (that's what I know!) 

You can manually add the member to the card after assigning them to the checklist item.

Regards

Oday

I'm disappointed to learn this. This should be an important possibility available to users.
Thank you for your reply.

Like Oday Rafeh likes this

"You can manually add the member to the card after assigning them to the checklist item." That's what I do but there's no point in having automation if you have to add the person twice to a task.
Can we filter the cards visible on the cards of which I am a member + the cards where I am assigned in a checklist item?

Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2023

Sorry @baptiste-gilles , there is no native way to filter cards by both being a member of the card and being assigned to a checklist item.

One thing You could use is a third-party Power-Up like Butler or Trellinator to automate this process.

With Butler, you could create a rule that adds you as a member to the card when you are assigned to a checklist item, and with Trellinator, you could create a custom script that filters cards based on membership and checklist item assignment.

I hope this helps!

Regards

Oday 

I have Butler, so how to do this ?

Oday Rafeh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2023

You can follow these steps:

• Open the board where you want to create the rule and click on the Butler button in the top right corner.
  • Click on the "Create Rule" button to start creating a new rule.
  • In the "When" section, select the trigger that corresponds to a checklist item being assigned to you. For example, you can choose "When a checklist item is assigned to me".
  • In the "Do" section, select the action that adds you as a member to the card. For example, you can choose "Add me to the card".
  • Customize the rule as needed and give it a name.
  • Save the rule and test it by assigning a checklist item to yourself in a card.

"When a checklist item is assigned to me" don't exist :/
Capture d’écran 2023-03-29 à 14.36.56.png

Like Adrian Carter likes this
John August 9, 2023

Hey, @baptiste-gilles did you ever find a solution for this? I am trying to do something similar. We have subtasks in cards that are assigned to different users, and need a way to be sure those users are automagically added to cards where this is happening so the overall card task shows up in their workload stream tracking. 

Like Eric Spielman likes this
Kim
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 15, 2024

Bumping this up as I'm struggling with this, too! Feels like a big oversight.

At the very least, an option to notify the Trello manager when checklist items are assigned but the card is not? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events