Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a date range in the checklist with premium

Philippe Laroche March 29, 2023
Good morning,
Before moving to the next level of Trello, we would like to know if it is possible to add start dates and end dates in the chicklists? The planyway tool does this but when we tested premium, it was obviously not the case. Otherwise, do we have to go through a power up?
Thank you community for your response!

1 answer

0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2023

Hi Philippe,

Welcome.  I saw your message and wanted to share my thoughts.  Remember Trello is a very versatile and open platform, it is one of its biggest strengths compared to the competition.

With that said, my view on the advanced checklists is that Trello implemented them as a reaction to the competition but they are somewhat limited.  So no, natively there are no start dates.  I see many questions here about advanced checklists and my advice is to think about Trello slightly differently.

Trello at its heart is a flat system, really built in the mould of a whiteboard.  

So when it comes to trying to build hierarchy by having tasks within cards, I would rethink that and have tasks (Trello cards) linked to Parents instead of inside parents. Think of a typical Kanban Board...Climb.png

You can replicate that in Trello

Screenshot 2023-03-29 074503.png

This looks pretty simple and looking inside the Story cards, you get the links to the items in the To-Do, Doing, Done:
Screenshot 2023-03-29 075339.png

Now the power of Trello is in the automation capability.  So now, I can:

• I can now assign task start and due dates, labels, members and much much more
  • Automatically check these items off when the tasks are moved to done
  • If there is an issue with a task (it cannot be completed), I can link back and put a warning label on the parent (story) card and post a comment
  • I can have custom fields that get updated on the parent card based on task activity
  • I can see clearly in timeline or calendar views, what is going on
  • And much much more...

This approach can also be expanded to have multiple boards.  Like if you wanted a board with projects and a board for team tasks, you can use the same approach and actually work the project card through the workflow stages automatically.

If you would like to know more about this, feel free to ask questions on here or contact me via the link in my profile.

Hope this helps

Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events