cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello dramatically undersells the value of its API

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2018

I've been consulting using Trello for the past 2 years now.

And it is INCREDIBLE.

I've been building software for a range of applications and use cases for the past 15 years and the amount of value I can deliver using Trello as the platform is astronomical compared with traditional web or mobile technologies.

Clients are consistently delighted, etc.

What is astonishing to me is how under utilised and undersold the Trello API is.

About half the posts I see on the Atlassian Community about Trello are use cases that Trello would be perfect for with a bit of automation, but the most common response to these posts is "submit a feature request".

Not only this this useless advice but it's actually anathema to the ethos of the Trello team.

Trello has succeeded for so long because they refuse to build features -- they have abstained from over feature-isation and staked their value on being an open platform for people to build upon.

That's happened to *an extent* but the power-up architecture isn't really capable of delivering the value people want from the platform (I've even seen posts about how people want automation to manage the power ups across boards ... which obviously, a power up could not do ... )

It's insane to me that Asana, for example, could win so many hearts and minds against Trello. That the enterprise Trello sales team could have lost even ONE deal to Asana is mind blowing to me because I've used Asana and sure it's a pretty useful todo list and calendar app but if you try to do anything even remotely interesting with it, it falls in a heap and cries in the corner.

And that's only considering the desktop version; one of the most valuable aspects of Trello is how much of the functionality is retained on mobile devices.

It makes it the ideal platform for bridging the gap between office based and field based staff. It's like the swiss army knife of interfaces that can encapsulate any business process.

So what gives? Why isn't Trello pushing API automation as their primary selling point? Let's bring it to the forefront!

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events