Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering Up Card-Back Attachments + An Update on Confluence and Jira Power-Ups

49 comments

Shady Kayof
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 7, 2023

Horrible decision, this power-up is an integral part of our everyday work in the product team to plan and monitor roadmaps and projects against Jira progress.

The replacement won't fulfill the current capabilities of the power-up as many of the comments here point out.

Such a step can make us start looking for alternatives and we really like Trello :/

Please consider keeping the power-up available!

Like # people like this
Tim Burt June 7, 2023

I have to concur with literally everyone else here.. this is a mistake that really should be reconsidered.

Trello automation is not a substitute for this.   Currently, from a Trello board our team can raise an issue in Jira, including choosing the project and issue type.    Automation doesn't allow for that as far as I can see.   Being able to specify the basic details of a Jira ticket from Trello is why we use this....   a client-reported issue could be a bug, and enhancement, a feature request, etc.

It seems that we now are going to have to go back to creating the Jira ticket manually, just so we can get that right and then pasting the link back into the Trello card...  that's a huge retrograde step.

Like # people like this
w.sieverink June 7, 2023

Reading the article and all the comments, I cannot even fathom the reasoning for removing this power-up. You are adding 'Smart-links' which only does like 1/3 of what the power-up provides and the article writes it in a way that we are rewarded with a cool new feature, something to look forward too...

• Yes, the smart-link shows the jira issue in a nice way inside a text field. You can see the progress etc. But where is the link in jira to said trello issue? The power-up does this, smart-link fails to do so. There's no 2-way link anymore. Yes, this can be done by hand in Jira but why should we if a working power-up already does this for us?!
    • This is crucial for us. Trello is being used for the managers and planners to discuss with other departments on what to do. From there the link is established with jira so the developers can work from there. 
  • Creating an issue from trello to Jira. This feature works perfectly, why remove it without offering even the slightest thing as a replacement (trello automation is not a replacement for a working and functioning power-up). 

We've chosen to use trello specifically at the beginning of this year to stay within the atlassian ecosystem because everything is easily interconnected and making things easy to find from 1 application to another without having to program/automate everything ourselves. We are a rather small company and we do not have the time (or money) to be constantly busy with automations within trello and jira to create the simplest of functions for ourselves (this should be within the application). We need to be busy with our actual work and not be busy with applications we use in order to do our work.

I hope atlassian reads all these comments and will consider at least pushing back the deprecation date, wait untill all the features from the jira power-up are replaced within trello or even better, integrate the look and feel from the smart-link with the power-up. Best of both worlds in my opinion because I do like the look and feel from the smart-link, also with the full screen view option but it lacks important features compared to the jira power-up.

Hopefully the atlassian team does something with this because having an article being viewed over 5000 times, having only 5 likes but does have 27 comments with all the same reply "please keep the power-up" shows that people are not in agreement with this idea. And with people I mean customers, paying customers. 

Like # people like this
tal.sela
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 7, 2023

Reading all those comments I understand something - A lot of Jira users are using Trello to solve a problem Jira should solve - just add that option in Jira and catch two stones in the same stone.

Like # people like this
Romana Challans
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 12, 2023

I use the Confluence power up and if there are todo items, they are added to Trello automatically as a checklist, which doesn't happen with your new approach.

This new 'smartlink' feels more lobotomised than smart, and removes functionality.

Like # people like this
Arjan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 14, 2023

+1 on the UI changes beeing less functional. Currently with the smart card, it looks nice when you open the card, but i am missing the status we see when on the Board view on the card showing me that a Jira card is linked.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 112138.jpg

Omitting this would be a step back in my opinion. We use this in the overview to quickly check whether trello cards have a Jira card linked. To do this i would not like to click on each card individually.

+1 also on the 2-way link. We utilize the connection between the cards aswell. With that gone, it becomes a hassle.

@tal.sela we start out in Trello (as lets say a question) and from there move to jira (the actual development task), what do you mean with a problem that Jira needs to solve? Im genuinely curious to what you mean, because maybe im thinking about it the wrong way :)

Like # people like this
Jan van Luijn June 15, 2023

Hi @Ellie Kulick  and @Michael Heikka , 

I was wondering if any of our comments have impacted the decision to move forward with this change. Alternatively, is there a possibility for you to continue supporting the feature that we all use and love?

Like # people like this
Tim Burt June 15, 2023

@Jan van Luijn  I fear it won't, I suspect this decision is all wrapped up (I'd love to be proven wrong).

It really just feels like they don't want to support the power-up and hence it will die.   The fact that Smart Links and Trello Automation are being pushed as an alternative would suggest that the people who have made this decision don't really understand the use-cases well enough.

That Trello Automation has been around since April 2020, and lots of us are still using this power-up extensively should tell you something!

The current rationale seems to be, "We have these whizzy new things for you, so we're getting rid of the really useful old ones you use."     And that would be fine, if it didn't represent a huge loss of functionality.

I'm rambling now, but mostly because I'm grumpy about this!   It's going to screw up our workflow a lot, and we're now actively looking at other platforms.

Like # people like this
Matt Kastendieck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 15, 2023

What is the rationale behind this decision? Could somebody explain?

Please continue support of this power-up at least until feature parity is achieved using Smartlinks.

Like # people like this
Mike Jentes June 15, 2023

@Ellie Kulick  and Atlassian.  This is a core functionality and frankly the only reason we use Trello so we can show to clients the status of development tickets.  If it is not matched in kind, we will likely be moving our business elsewhere -- everything Jira, Confluence etc....and the thousands of dollars we spend annually.

Like # people like this
Erik Elliott
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 23, 2023

This is a horrible Idea! I have several Power Automate tasks that create a new Trello card each time a Jira ticket with specific parameters is created. Now instead of SmartLink the in ticket, it is just adding it as a linked attachment.

The new inability to see the ticket's progress from my board is not good. Also, when opening the ticket and it's not SmartLinking, I have to open the card and then open the link to the Jira ticket to get any context on what is happening. It was much easier to have an overview of the cards/tickets that are open.

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T GET RID OF THIS FUNCUNATILY

Like # people like this
Massimiliano Bini
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 28, 2023

To link Jira Tickets to Trello Card and see them automatically backlinked was THE reason I was massively using Trello at work. 

Like # people like this
Paul Janssen June 30, 2023

Agree with the comments above. I can't really understand this solution, it's bad and didn't even work when I tried it.

Like # people like this
Ruan Alesi Nogueira Santos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 7, 2023

Smart links are very interesting to visualize JIRA issues from Trello, but logging an issue in JIRA could be more flexible when working with multiple projects in JIRA.

But I also don't understand the reasons behind the decision to change the power-up.

Like # people like this
Rachel Cook
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 10, 2023

How does one keep a view of multiple JIRA tickets in a single Trello card? We work with two different Development teams through JIRA but have one Trello board. It allows us to keep all JIRA tickets for a project on a single card but be able to see who is assigned to the web development parts and who is assigned to the email/social part by using this Power-up. PLEASE do not make this more difficult, especially as we are heading into the back half of the year. Having this power-up in an eCommerce business is crucial to our success with staying nimble in Q4. We create our JIRA tickets from Trello and it allows our content team to do most of the upfront setup within Trello where our briefs and other content lives.

Like # people like this
Bob Ponder
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 12, 2023

This decision an action seem very much in line with other actions in the Atlassian ecosystem, where existing working functionality is sacrificed in favor of some nebulous goal that the users cannot see in front of them and frankly never see an improved alternative.

I've been using Trello for around a decade.  I've used it to introduce several businesses to better programming process management as opposed to the adhoc way they were doing it.

Our current shop uses Jira but it has so many obstacles to viewing flow that we started using Trello (after I introduced it once again and pointed out that it was in the ecosystem) as a core part of process so an individual application project could be viewed in a single page to show where things were, a visual scrum in some ways.  One of the crucial parts of that was adding cards in Trello, fleshing out the descriptions and details and using that this power up to create the jira ticket for company event tracking so on.  WE would then use the power up to tie in any other associated jira tickets so we had a single place to see the relations.

Micheal Heikka, @Ellie Kulick  - You've removed a core piece if functionality again.  All these users here are telling you we need the functionality.  Jira had a lot of love 5-7 years ago in the agile community.  Now it is talked about in the same way some places discuss formerly loved tools that have been acquired by Oracle.

Thing is that I may not have a voice in the decision making process where I currently am in terms of project management tools, but I have in the past and I will again in the future.  And I can assure you, due to things like this, I will not be suggesting anything from Atlassian to the table and will actively resist using it.

p.s. Micheal Heikka does not appear to be linkable anymore... interesting.

Like # people like this
Kelsey Pittman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 12, 2023

I use the powerups to quickly glance at status of the jira case and to see which one of my cards have jira cases created, and which ones are missing cases.  How can I do this at a glance with the new smartlink feature without having to open the card itself?  This feels like a step backwards.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 2.04.40 PM.png

Like # people like this
frabinstein July 14, 2023

@Bob Ponder you were misspelling @Michael Heikka's name.

Like Jan van Luijn likes this
Ellie Kulick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2023

Hey everyone! Thank you for all of your feedback. It's so great to hear that the Jira and Confluence Power-ups have been serving you all well. 

I'm very happy to share that we've heard you, and both the Jira and Confluence Power-ups are here to stay! They have been restored on the marketplace and we no longer have plans to deprecate either of the power-ups. 

Thanks again for sharing your feedback. We appreciate you! 

Like # people like this
Dmitri Peredera
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 31, 2023

@Michael Heikka 

Where do I find "add link"?

The closest I've got is "add comment" in content tab.

Example Automation Rule.png

Tim Burt July 31, 2023

Well, credit where it's due.   I've just seen the update, and I'm pleased that the power ups will remain.    Thanks Atlassian..    I hope that it's clear the user-base are happy to engage with you on this kind of stuff, and value the products.   I'm sure plenty of us would be happy to offer information during the consultation / planning process for these decisions to help avoid all the stress.

Like # people like this
Richard Boisvert
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
July 31, 2023

Thanks, Atlassian for listening to us users and considering what we say!  We have nothing against new features as long as they don't remove the features we need and make use of!

Like # people like this
Steve Grossman August 7, 2023

@Ellie Kulick Just wanted to make sure to drop a very heartfelt Thank You from our team for this decision! We're very happy overall with both Jira and Trello and are looking forward to continued partnership.

Ricardo de la Vega
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 28, 2024

Thanks, @Ellie Kulick

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events