New Editor in Trello

We’re excited to introduce a new editing toolbar inside of Trello, to provide richer and more intuitive formatting options for card and board descriptions. This new editor gives you more control of how your content looks and allows you to preview it before saving. And if you use other Atlassian products, it should feel very familiar!

Note: The new editing toolbar is being rolled out slowly; this may not be your experience quite yet! To opt in sooner, visit https://trello.com/my/labs and toggle on ‘WYSIWYG Editing.'

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 1.42.33 PM.png

With the new editing toolbar in Trello you can easily:

• Select varying header font sizes

• Format your text with bold, italics, strikethrough, and code snippets

• Create bulleted or numbered lists

• Mention your teammates to collaborate

• Insert links

• Make your descriptions pop with emoji :tada: :raised_hands:

• And more!

You can quickly insert all these options via keyboard by typing '/' and selecting from the list.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 1.46.12 PM (1).png

If you loved using Markdown to format your descriptions, fear not—you still can! The new Editor in Trello introduces a friendlier UI for more intuitive formatting, but Markdown is still supported. Simply enter the formatting you want in Markdown, and the new Editor will convert the Markdown to formatted text as you type.

Please note that we've updated the Markdown for headers. To display a header, you will need to include a space after the # symbol.

More ways to display your content

We know that Trello is the hub for where your team’s work gets done. The new editing experience provides even more options for visually displaying work from all your team’s tools. Paste any link into the card description and choose how you want to display it—whether that’s simply a URL, the default Smartlink inline view, or as a card view, which offers a small preview of the content as well as additional information about the link.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 11.39.15 AM (2).png

To toggle between all these display options, click on the link while in Edit mode, and select from the dropdown list. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 2.45.39 PM.png

By default, any URL you paste into the card description will convert into an inline link, as shown above. If you'd like to change that—for example, if you always want to display the URL—you can do that by changing your link preferences for your account:

1. Select your avatar from the top-right menu, then go to Manage account.

2. From the top menu, select Link preferences.

From there, you can choose a new default display method for all links, or you can customize it by selecting different options for different types of links.

Tips and Tricks

• Shortcuts: Press “Command + /" to open a list of helpful keyboard shortcuts. Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 1.46.40 PM (1).png
  • Spacing options: Hitting ‘Enter’ in the new Editor creates a new paragraph, so there’s some extra spacing. If you’re just looking for a line break, hold ‘Shift’ before pressing ‘Enter.’

• How to undo automatic formatting: If you type something and don't want the formatting that's automatically applied, you can press "Command + z" or "ctrl + z" to remove the formatting. 
  • Ways to paste into Trello: If you are looking to paste text into Trello to match the current format in your card description, right-click and select Paste and Match Style. If you want to preserve the original formatting from where you pulled the text, right-click and select Paste.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 3.13.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-18 at 3.14.37 PM.png

Remember, this may not be your editing experience quite yet, as we’re rolling it out gradually. If you want the experience sooner, you can opt in by going to https://trello.com/my/labs and toggling on ‘WYSIWYG Editing.'

Note: The new editor for Trello is currently only available on the Web and Desktop, not mobile.

149 comments

Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

@Jenny So exciting! However, I tried turning on the feature flag but I can't see anything when going to https://trello.com/my/labs 🤔

labs trello.PNG

Jenny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2022

Oops @Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows this is totally my mistake for including this, it's not quiiiiite ready on Labs but will be in a couple weeks! I'll remove the mention of Labs in this post and update it when it's ready, thanks for catching that and stay tuned ;) 

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2022

I see this is ready now!! Excited to play around with it!

Like # people like this
Robert Murphy June 10, 2022

Thank you Trello and Atlassian for listening to your users!

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 13, 2022

I created a short video demo-ing how this works and how you can enable it, if anyone is curious! https://youtu.be/041SZPVP_Ww

Like # people like this
Evelyn Vaughn
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2022

Thank you so much for your YouTube video @Brittany Joiner!!

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2022

@Evelyn Vaughn totally welcome! i've had a lot of people engage on it, so might make a follow up one! Seems a lot of people didn't know about trello labs!

Like # people like this
Manuel Rivas June 23, 2022

Hello, there some way to deactivate this new editor, is interfering with the API

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2022

@Manuel Rivas you should be able to go this ur: https://trello.com/britt_joiner/labs (use your username instead of mine 😊) and then you can toggle it off!

Like # people like this
pbaggett June 24, 2022

Please please please never drop support for disabling this, I much prefer the markdown style of editing. This happened to Confluence a long time ago and I still hate it. Please do not forsake your power users again!

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2022

@pbaggett you still have access to using markdown, even with the new editor enabled! Same markdown shortcuts/format still work!

Like Georg likes this
pbaggett June 24, 2022

@Brittany Joiner As a software engineer, I'm not a fan of WYSIWYG editors in general. There are just too many quirks resulting from non-visible elements to make it a consistently good experience. So long as I can keep the feature disabled I'll be happy. :)

Like # people like this
Benjamin Wingerter June 25, 2022

How can I turn this off? It's time consuming, not accurate with line spaces and I can't tell which headlines are used. ALso linking text is not working anymore: [linktext](url)

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2022

@Benjamin Wingerter go to https://trello.com/britt_joiner/labs (with your username, not mine haha) and then you can disable it. 

image.png

Like # people like this
Benjamin Wingerter June 26, 2022

Thank you very much @Brittany Joiner ! It works for the website. :) In the Windows App I can't find the labs setting. Any idea for that? 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 26, 2022

@Benjamin Wingerter no idea, sorry. Don't use any of the Trello desktop apps

Sune Rievers June 27, 2022

Can't find setting for labs on my free plan - is this a paid feature?

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2022

@Sune Rievers no i don't believe so. if you go to trello.com and are logged in, then type /your_username/labs at the end of the URL, what comes up? (like this)

Kapture 2022-06-27 at 09.52.58.gif

Like Sune Rievers likes this
MarcusEllis __
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2022

Hi @Benjamin Wingerter,

Linking text should definitely still be working. You can use the Editor UI or type in the Markdown syntax and it should convert to a link. However, editing the link afterwards requires using the Editor UI.

Screen Recording 2022-06-28 at 9.28.19 AM.gif

That said, if you tried that syntax and it didn't work, you might be running into an edge case bug that we haven't encountered in our testing. I'd be happy to look into it further. If you'll open a support ticket at https://trello.com/contact and include more detail on what you're seeing, we'll get it fixed up.

Thanks.

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 28, 2022

Also love that there is so much feedback in here, and I don't work for Trello, but I'm quite sure they're watching this (I see some Atlassian Team people responding!) but would also probably be helpful to add these comments that "Leave feedback" icon you see below the editor!

image.png

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2022

@Jenny if you're wanting some more feedback on this - somebody mentioned on my youtube video it would be nice to have this in card title as well! I also noticed it's not on comments, and it would be great to have there - i assume the plan is to roll it out in more places after testing. I think card title could be tricky of course, since it doesn't even accept markdown so i could see how that would be problematic, but just wanted to share the feedback!

Like Jenny likes this
MERCEDES DESMANGLES July 12, 2022

Hello, this sucks, it is very frustrating to work with this.  WE are a team of highly organized billers, and trello really helped us out with making sure everything was where it was supposed to be.  Meaning, being able to change COLORS and making our text the color red-was a key part of our daily check ins/habits. 

If there is any way to put it back to the way it was, or even get something close.  This doesn't make anything easier for us, I don't even have to option to put bulletins 

this has made our whole office very uneasy with certain things and almost everything looks the same.  This wasn't a good change. 

Just some honest feedback

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 12, 2022

@MERCEDES DESMANGLES hey there! You can turn it off it you go to trello.com/your-username/labs . 

As far as bullet points, you should still be able to do that - can you share a screen recording of the behaviour where it's not letting you create bullet points? You should be able to do it via markdown with dashes, or selecting the bulleted list icon from the toolbar. Do neither of those work? 

As far as colors, i didn't even know you could change the color of text in trello before. I wonder if there might be some power-up that would let you style the text in the description more to your liking?

MERCEDES DESMANGLES July 12, 2022

@Brittany Joiner  Helloooo there, 
-the way to change colors used to be adding this mark "`" on both sides

example-- `hello` -- would be red or **`hello`**- would be bold and red

no it just kind of adds a block around it,

I turned off the the "new board" and everything is still the same 

And I do no not have the description box option 

and i have no Idea how to attach a file here im sorry but its not working!

Anshu Singh July 25, 2022

Hi All, When is the go-live for this?  When is it available for general users?

Like Kariko likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events