Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

ACP-620 exam review - is it really worthy?

Hello,

so let me start saying that I am not a Jira user. I planned to study it and take the cert as a lot of companies require some knowledge of the tool and thought it would be a good idea to take a certification to prove I can use Jira even though I am not using at the moment in my daily work.

So I decided to get the entry-level certification ACP-620 Managing Jira Cloud Projects. Went to the free "Learn Jira Basis" training and then purchased the bundle training + certification.

I studied and did the test today, Result: 46%.

The problem is that the training doesn't really prepare you for the test. There are several questions about topics not even mentioned in the training, on top of my head Development panels, specific questions on Project Configurations, what uncompleted issues you can move to next sprints when you want to close that sprint, questions about gadgets (you basically have to study all of them).

The test often simulates situations more than asking specific questions about the tool, and, adding to it, the percentage to pass is 63%.

So, is it really worthy to spend other 100Eur and try again? I would if the questions were fair - related to the training material, but since they can basically ask you anything, it's a hit and miss, and to be honest to some questions there is no answer, either you ask the community or you can try playing with Jira, there is nothing online that will answer specifically the question. But you need to remember these questions, pray to find the answer, and pray again the question will repeat itself again on the next exam.

Very disappointed. If you're unsure whether to take the exam, and you're a new user like me, I would just go through the free training and then when needed at work, you'll learn how to use it just using it - it's quite simple once you get the hang of it.

2 answers

3 votes
Jimmy Seddon Community Leader Apr 26, 2021

Hi @TP,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass the exam.  I'd like to mention that the Atlassian exams are designed differently from what you may be used to.  Atlassian expects that you have used the product and are taking the certification after being familiar with the features before taking an exam.

If you look at the certification page for the exam you took: 
https://www.atlassian.com/university/certification/certifications/exam-acp-620

"Six months' exposure to Jira Software Cloud is recommended before taking the training course and exam."

I would 100% echo the statement on the page.  I think it would be helpful for you to spend some time working in Jira for some time before taking the exam again as you are correct there is an expectation that you already have a good foundational understanding of Jira before you are taking the certification.

Good luck if you attempt to take the exam again in the future.

-Jimmy

Make sure you check out the exam topics listed in the certification page - yes, the course doesn't cover every detail of project administration tasks.

I haven't sat the exam yet, because I saw the exam topics and realised there was still heaps I didn't know. The questions are designed to test your knowledge of jira, so its not your usual multiple choice exam - try the sample questions too, they show the type of questions you'll be asked. Although having sat the exam, I guess you now have an idea.

I'm trying to answer the community questions to really get into the details. Other people use jira in ways that I don't, so they ask questions about things I wouldn't necessarily do. By trying to answer the question I usually learn something new, even if I don't come up with an actual solution.

Personally I think it is worth getting the certification and paying the additional exam fee.

Good luck with it ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Hi @Linda Milne_Know Business_ I did take a look at the topics. I did a MS cert based on the syllabus only, looking up the topics in their training docs as they didn't have a dedicated learning path. Here is not possible, I should remember the questions, and then either try on your own in Jira or ask the community, which is cumbersome to do for basically every question you were not sure of.

For example, I studied the gadgets that were listed in the training, but during the exam I was asked about another gadget. Should I just go through all gadgets, even the ones in the Marketplace?

A Jira certification is not required for the jobs I am interested in. They just require a working experience or a good grasp of it. I think a cert can only be useful if you plan to be a Jira admin. As an user or a Project Admin, you will anyway work within the environment created by your Jira Admin, so just know the basis, and start working on it.

I went through the basis and this training and I am definitely prepared to work in Jira.

Hey @TP 

I hear you. But in studying for the exam and going through the exam topics I did realise I didn't know as much about jira as I thought I did. Not saying that's your situation, but it certainly was mine.

Specifically for gadgets, yep, problem. Not just with gadgets, things are changing, so that worries me too - am I studying the wrong release &/or has the exam caught up (I believe they work hard to keep versions & exams aligned). It is also my understanding that the exam is on standard, out of the box, jira functionality. No marketplace specific functionality.

Did you watch the getting certified videos? I found these really useful:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Training-Certification/This-is-your-year-How-to-earn-an-Atlassian-Certification/td-p/1607432

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Training-Certification/Atlassian-Certification-Success-Panel-Atlassian-University-Live/td-p/1646915

To certify or not certify, that is the question! At the end of the day its a personal decision. I love playing with jira, and while I need to get certified, that's just a bonus. I love getting into the nitty gritty of jira.

Maybe just sit with it for a while. Hang out in the community. If you don't need the certification for work, there is no rush.

Again, good luck with it. Let me know where you land! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

Like โ€ข # people like this

@Linda Milne_Know Business_ , great answer, you are absolutely right!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Training & Certification

Get started with Atlassian DevOps Essentials [Atlassian University Live webinar]

As part of an ongoing series, Atlassian University is offering this free webinar to strengthen your Atlassian product skills and learn directly from Atlassian experts. @Steve Byrnes&nbs...

80 views 3 4
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you