Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising a teenager: scrum at home

This article is part of a series about how we tried to help our teenage son through his secondary school career, using techniques and practices from the workplace. For an overview of all articles, a good place to start is the introduction (introduction to this article series), where I set the scene and at links to all subsequent articles.

This specific episode is about creating transparency.

How the story unfolded

One of the biggest struggles for adolescents is learning to organise themselves. In primary school, children are taken by the hand to gradually evolve from learning through play towards more and more actual learning. Everything they do is very much bitesized for them and their teacher follows up closely what they do.

In the early stages of secondary school, children are gently encouraged to take matters in their own hands. The amount of study material they need to master increases and they find themselves in a position where just going to class and paying attention is no longer enough to achieve results. At least, not for most of them.

That implies they need to develop a view of what they need to get done. And so we decided to introduce agile boards to help our kids make work transparent. The practice itself was not new to them. Even when they were young kids, we used boards like the one below to get them involved in the household:

Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 11.47.36.png

To make it more fun for them, we let them draw their own pictograms to represent their tasks. And if they did well, they could earn iPad time, which was a very popular reward back then.

Along the same lines, we encouraged them to visualise their planning with cards. The idea was to have a separate card for every single task. One of our cupboards acted as the board (there must be a reason why there is a board in “cupboard"), the days of the week were columns and we also added a Done column to move completed cards to:

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 08.36.16.png

We experimented with different formats and even tools. As my son is very much into computers, we even set up a board in Jira, which looked like this:

Screenshot 2021-12-04 at 12.02.22.png

What worked

I am absolutely certain that making work visible is a crucial step in any improvement initiative you undertake.

• Having a card for every separate task was a great instrument for my son to help him think about what he needed to do.

• For us - as a family - it created insight into how he defined his tasks and where he needed help to become better at it.

• As the board was in a place where everyone could see it, the transparency it gave created a lot of trust - while it lasted. We could see what was on the agenda, we could track what was completed and we could ask questions when we thought it was necessary.

• The digital version of the board in Jira even gave us the opportunity to start tracking his results over time.

The practices we used were an important first step for my son to start organising his own work. And although it has taken some time, we are starting to see today that this was a valuable learning experience.

Some lessons we learnt

Nevertheless, we saw it was very difficult for my son to keep this going. While everything still went pretty well in his first two years, we started noticing later on that - despite the boards and the cards - he started missing deadlines, forgetting certain tasks and even studying for the wrong exam one day. In other words: the visualisation and planning did not reflect what he really needed to do.

Basically, he was not ready to do all this planning by himself. And the more he saw how things did not lead to the desired results, the less he became motivated to keep the boards up to date. That in turn did not do any good to the high levels of trust we had before. And that was a really unwanted side effect.

I short, making work visible is a very strong enabler of improvement. But it is of utmost importance to provide the necessary, continued support when you notice certain flaws.

How this relates to the workplace

On a forum like this Atlassian Community, trying to convince users that using visual planning tools like boards is valuable would very much be like trying to sell beer to a brewery. You all know that, of course. So let's stretch the subject a bit and look at what type of board or process may be the best fit for your team ...

Scrum or Kanban?

It is probably clear that the analog boards (the sticky notes on a wall) I used with my son are neither. They are a visualisation of work that needs to be done and more of an actual planning system based on a calendar. It comes pretty close to the calendar view in Jira Work Management. Why? because that was the best fit with our needs at that time and for the type of work we wanted to organise.

The choice between scrum and kanban often comes up when I work with teams. And maybe the most important thing I want to note here is that there is much more to consider than just what type of board you choose for your project. There is a lot of ceremony and best practices behind the visual representation too.

Scrum basically is a choice for planning up front. Every 2 or 3 weeks you purposely decide what your team is going to commit itself on. You start a sprint with only the selected work items on it and expect to deliver those items. The active sprint is the place your team goes to in order to decide what will be the next thing to work on and - basically - what is not on the board is currently not a priority. At the end of the sprint, you run a retrospective to determine what went well and how you will improve in the future. Then, you plan the next sprint and repeat that process. A key metric to build confidence in your teams ability to deliver is velocity, the amount of work your team can complete in a sprint (usually measured in story points, but that may be any other numeric value as well).

Kanban is a pull system. Work items come in continuously and are prioritised, so when the team is ready to start on a new piece of work, they can just pick the one at the top of the list. On top of that, the flow of work is essential in this methodology. That means work must be prioritised on a continuous basis and the team must develop and maintain an attitude to constantly identify and eliminate bottlenecks or waste in its processes. For that reason, Work In Progress (WIP) limits can be configured in kanban boards. Key metrics for a kanban team are lead and cycle time, which can be visualised in Jira through the control chart.

Which method is right for you team depends in the first place on the type of work it mainly needs to tackle. If most of it can be planned up front (like product development by a software team), scrum is often a better fit. If you are mostly responding to customer requests (like in a service team), then kanban is the more logical option.

Very often we see software teams preferring kanban as well. And that is perfectly fine, as long as that is not for the wrong reasons: “these planning and retrospective meetings take too much time”, “we forget to complete our sprint after two weeks all the time” or “we can’t complete the issues we added to the sprint anyway".

Optimising the way you work with kanban requires much more maturity from your team than scrum, as the element of retrospective is built in with the latter. The examples I mentioned may suggest lack of that maturity. For teams struggling with that type of issues, kanban risks to become a cover up of what is really going on. So in short, if you pick your framework, make sure you do so for the right reasons …

What workflow should I use?

To wrap up this article,  I'd like to share a short final note on this common Community question. As Atlassian has built a lot of templates into Jira, (new) users commonly ask which one they should use when they get started. My answer to that has always been (and will always be): go to the drawing board and map out your current process. Always design the tool around how you work and adjust incrementally as you start seeing things could be improved. Never blindly implement a standard template from a tool and force your way of working to match what the tool dictates.

In the next episode, I will discuss distractions, external factors that influence team focus. For my son, this mainly was his growing interest in gaming, which caused him and us quite a few headaches. I’m aiming for the week of December 20th for that!

12 comments

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

Fantastic article @Walter Buggenhout!  Thank you for sharing!

Like # people like this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

And, what a great summary about Scrum and Kanban (and how the calendar view in JWM might fit the bill for uses cases outside of software development).  Danke, @Walter Buggenhout !

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Christine P. Dela Rosa
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2021

Wowowow, @Walter Buggenhout! Fantastic insights based on a one-of-a-kind story!!!

I wanted to call out a couple of takeaways from your takeaways (haha):

• When you said your son couldn't continue the planning alone, I find that to be a positive application to the workplace.

Ideally, we wouldn't manage something that impacts the entire "family" with the driver doing the organization alone. Your whole family's involvement of your son's portfolio demonstrated investment from the whole "team." I love that!

• Visibility of goals and tasks elevate those things for the team.

I think that when people do organization behind the scenes or when teams naturally align on priorities, the decision involved in those acts aren't seen as "work." Good for the teams that have that going for them, but also, documenting that work recognizes how much goes into those things. It's this "invisible work" that I think needs to get documented and have more active participation for team members (your son included in this case) to be more invested and respect the management of work as its own entity.
Like # people like this
Justine Violante {Appfire} December 7, 2021

This is inspiring @Walter Buggenhout ! I have a visual tween who I think would benefit from digital tools for goal and task management. We may try this with Trello as an easy entry point and progress to story points and JWM as she becomes more comfortable. Thanks for the pointers :)

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2021

@Walter Buggenhout - your (or whomever's) handwriting is SO nice! 💙

The idea of putting tasks to paper (or whatever media) and planning (sequencing and prioritizing) is so important. Love what you're doing here!

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2021

@Christine P. Dela Rosa,

Totally agree on your take about making that driver work transparent. In work situations, that does require a lot of courage from people in those driver roles and a lot of trust within the team.

I frequently see how people are afraid of sharing unfinished work, specifically when it relates to policies, commercial stuff of decisions. Yet, open work allows for more contribution from people with different perspectives and - often - better end results. 

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2021

Thanks for those kind words @Dave Rosenlund. I certainly didn't aim for a complete definition of scrum and kanban - I'm sure there is much more sides and angles that can be taken when it comes to agile methodologies. 😊

Yet some initial considerations to help a team get started with an appropriate board can always be helpful, I'm sure! 

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2021

Thank you @Justine Violante {Appfire}! We are using Trello for quite a few things at home too, like redecorating our kids' rooms, planning our holidays or organising parties 🎉

What I personally like most about Trello is that it's free-form and - despite the fact it can support a wide variety of use cases - doesn't require a lot of technical skills before you can get started!

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2021

Most of what is on the pictures is indeed my handwriting, @Dave Liao. Thank you for the kudos for that! I have spent a lot of time in workshops around whiteboards  with customers, so practice does help!

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

Amazing concept!  Wish Scrum was more popular when my kids were teenagers.

Like Christine P. Dela Rosa likes this
Tomas Junger January 26, 2022

Excellent learning with JIRA from childhood!

I think that is time for Atlassian to finish JIRA for Kids or family :-)  in Atlassian Alpha program

Jira_Jr.png

Introducing JIRA Jr. Project Tracking... for Kids! 

Like # people like this
YogeshKR
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2022

It's really Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events