Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party incidences are not showing up

James Tompkins May 15, 2023

I use the Atlassian third party components for Jira and Confluence.  The status of these tools shows up correctly.  However, the incidents do not show up.  Only the overall status shows up.   When I hover over the degraded status in the summary, it says "No incidents or maintenance related to this downtime".  However, when I go to the Atlassian status page it shows the incident.  

How do I get third party incidences to show up on our status page?

1 answer

0 votes
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2023

Hello James,

Thanks for reaching out with your question about getting third-party incidents on your page. The third-party components feature does not include adding incidents. We do this because while there might be an incident on the page that has components down, your page might not have an incident due to these components being down. We allow you to decide whether an incident is taking place for your page instead of automating that aspect since incidents trigger notifications to be sent to subscribers.

To get parity, you could utilize the Status API to grab the incident data from the third-party page and then use the Manage API to post an incident on your page. It would require some scripting, but companies usually take this path. 

You can access any page's API by adding /api to the URL. For example, https://confluence.status.atlassian.com/api will bring you to the Confluence Status API. 

You can look here for details on creating an incident with the Manage API.

Hopefully, that is helpful for you, and I hope you are having a great week!

Regards,
Jesse

James Tompkins May 19, 2023

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the information.  Sorry, but this renders the third-party components useless.  What is the point of indicating that the is an issue with a third party component, but not showing what the issue is?  What value is that?  Showing the incident should be optional in the component configuration.  Forcing every customer to write a script for this does not make sense.  I for one, do not write scripts.  That is why I purchased StatusPage. Really disappointed in this.  Will probably not renew.

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2023

Hi James,

I can see your points about using third-party components and how including incidents would be useful in certain situations. Their primary purpose is to make viewers of your page aware of the components your applications and services use. Some of these may or may not be critical, and some degraded third-party components might not include a third-party incident. If the component is critical to you, creating an incident that includes your details can help keep your stakeholders informed. While some teams choose to automate this by writing scripts, I think there is also value in providing context to your subscribers within your incident.

To be clear, I don't think including the incident in the changes to a third-party component is a bad idea, and our product team agrees. We have a feature request open as a future consideration, but one of the concerns is how to present this in the UI without being too intrusive to page viewers. I would welcome any context or thoughts about how this could be shown.

If you have any questions or want to do a deeper dive into how we might be able to support your use case, feel free to open a support ticket with us. I hope you have an excellent weekend.

Regards,
Jesse

James Tompkins May 21, 2023

Thanks for your thoughts and inputs.  I will open a support ticket to continue the discussion.  One very simple thing that could be done is to enable incident creation via email for third party components.  I subscribe to all of the third-party incidences for my set of tools (13 of them).   If I could create incidences for third party components, I would simply forward the incidences that impact the engineers at RA.  The change would go a long way towards a better solution.

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
May 23, 2023

Hi James,

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing the ticket. I'll go ahead and add this context you added to the request that we have open. Thanks again!

Regards,
Jesse

James Tompkins May 23, 2023

I have created ticket: SPSP-31408

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events