Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statuspage updates posting to a Slack thread

Derek George July 6, 2023

With the Statuspage / Slack Integration, I'm wondering if it's possible to configure the Slack posts in the following manner:

1. When a new incident is created in Statuspage a new post is then created in the desired Slack channel
  2. Any status updates added to the incident are then threaded off of the above Slack post

Is this possible? Currently all status updates are added as new posts in the Slack channel and this is less desirable in my situation because it creates too much noise.

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2023

Hi Derek,

This is Jesse from the Statuspage support team. Welcome to the community! While we currently don't have a way to thread the incidents in Slack, if you are using the Slack integration that is meant for team members, you can limit what is being shown on those posts to a particular channel.

If you are using Slack subscriptions, though, the posts are treated like other subscriptions and would be less configurable compared to integration. 

I'm curious about what posts are being added to your Slack channel and which parts are considered noisy to you. It could be worth writing a feature request to help reduce the noise. I'd love to hear your thoughts and use case!

Regards,
Jesse

Derek George July 11, 2023

Appreciate the response, Jesse

For my use case, I have one Slack channel where all incidents will post to for visibility to stakeholders. I have additional external vendors that already post in the incident channel and they are set up to post once for the creation of the incident and then all status updates are threaded off of that post. I am hesitant to set up our Statuspage Slack integration into that incident channel because status updates will get posted as new posts each time in that channel rather than threaded, so that's my concern of being too noisy in relation to our other integrations already working.

Happy to chat more here if there's a potential solution. Otherwise, please let me know if I should write a feature request. Thanks!

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2023

Hi Derek,

Thanks for providing that use case. I created a feature request with our development team under STATUS-630. Statuspage doesn't currently have a public suggestion board but if you have a question, you can reference this ticket. I tried to see if there were any workarounds that would work and the only thing would be to mute posts from Statsupage but then that would defeat the purpose of getting the original incident. 

I think the feature request is the way to go on this one. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Regards,
Jesse

Derek George July 12, 2023

Ok. Thanks for writing up the feature request. Appreciate the help!

Like Jesse Klein likes this
danish_din
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 2, 2023

Hey, 

Would love this feature

Any progress with this?

siva
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 21, 2024

Any update on this feature please ?

Especially github status messages are very noisy.

Matthew Hennesy
Atlassian Team
January 22, 2024

Hello Siva, 

I'd be happy to provide an update! 

STATUS-630 is still under consideration for the future roadmap. 

Thanks,
Matthew  

Kinnaird McQuade
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 10, 2024

Hi @Matthew Hennesy - we are also very interested in this feature. It would help users avoid alert fatigue. For us, we have a dedicated Slack channel for vendor downtime. In this example, there are 20-30 messages per day from various 3rd party vendors reporting incidents. This floods the slack channel. Preferably, as a user I should only be notified if (1) there is a new incident, or (2) I see an incident that I wanted to follow and I followed it.

I recorded a Loom video of scrolling through our slack channel that subscribes to several 3rd party vendors who use Statuspage. It's gotten very unruly very quickly. I think Atlassian could fix this easily by supporting threads. I hope this helps!

https://www.loom.com/share/56fed7ce38584217a561b6c683764a14

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
April 10, 2024

Hello Kinnaird,

Thanks for providing the Loom video. I have attached this to the feature request to share with engineering. I can totally understand where the alert fatigue can come from. Thanks again for this.

Regards,
Jesse

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events