Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Datadog

June Kang October 7, 2021

Hello! I'd like to know how I can translate a Datadog metric into the component view. In other words, I want to create an uptime graph (one that looks like the default example with green bars) by using data from my Datadog monitors. Currently, I've only been able to add a Datadog metric, which is not exactly what I want.

1 answer

1 vote
Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2021

Hello June,

This is Jesse from the Statuspage support team. Welcome to the community and thanks for reaching out here about Datadog metrics and component uptime.

What you are specifically trying to do isn't really possible with how the current setup is for metrics and components as they are considered separate things within Statuspage. What you could do it backfill all the uptime for the last 90 days and then use the email automation functionality to automatically put uptime in for components: https://support.atlassian.com/statuspage/docs/get-started-with-email-automation/

Datadog should be able to send alert changes to the component email and then it will automatically change the component status to down or up depending on the email received. This seems to be closest you would be able to get with this unfortunately. I would give that a try and see if that could work for you.

Please let me know if it does. I hope you have a great day!

Regards,
Jesse

June Kang October 12, 2021

I'll try that out. In the meantime, I have another question.

In the Components tab, I enabled the Datadog 3rd-party extension, and now have 'Datadog Synthetics' and 'Datadog Metrics' in the Active list of components. When I click on each of them, they appear as a 100% in the past 90 days, which is inaccurate. When I enable these third party components, where is the data being pulled from?

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 12, 2021

Hi June,

This data ends up being pulled from Datadog's Statuspage. The thing about third party components, though, is that they do no pull historical data. They only capture everything moving forward so if they have a component go down now, it should appear.

Hopefully that helps!

Regards,
Jesse

June Kang October 13, 2021

Got it.

For the original question, how would one go about manually backfilling the historical data? 

And just to confirm, the Datadog component status refers to the status of the Datadog system itself, rather than the status of my service that is being monitored by Datadog, correct?

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
October 13, 2021

Hi June,

If you go to your components, you can click on any of the green bars on the uptime showcase to override that day and enter the downtime.

In regards to the Datadog, yes, this has to do with what Datadog is reporting. If Datadog shows something is down and it sends an email to the Statuspage component, then Statuspage will reflect that! I hope that helps you out!

Regards,
Jesse

June Kang October 18, 2021

Hello again!

I was able to get the components set up successfully. Now I want to make sure that when I open up the status page, I only want to view 'valid'/'open' past incidents. Right now, I see a list of Past Incidents where for each day, I see an empty entry 'No incidents reported today.' as the message. How would I go about configuring this?

Thank you again.

Jesse Klein
Atlassian Team
October 18, 2021

Hello June,

You could configure this using custom code as we do not have the ability to remove that working built in to Statuspage. Custom code is dependent on your tier of page, which you can learn more about here: https://www.atlassian.com/software/statuspage/pricing

Also, because it is custom, I don't have any specific answers on how to go about doing that. All I can provide is some examples of custom code being used: https://support.atlassian.com/statuspage/docs/css-and-javascript-snippets-for-customizations/

Hopefully that gives you a good starting point.

Regards,
Jesse

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events