Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is the legend to identify branch in sourcetree

Matthew Wilkinson November 30, 2016

Is there a legend somewhere to clarify what the purple line relates to? I find I get confused knowing which branch is which. I have only been using SourceTree for a few weeks so I am probably missing something.

sourcetree.PNG

5 answers

0 votes
thinsoldier
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2016

I've seen other git clients show a branch name next to each commit. The Bitbucket website does this also. But after you've done a few merges they ALL give up on doing that.

On the rare occassion that I know in advance I will need 10+ branches being worked on simultaneously and will rarely be merged, I get into the habit of prefixing my commit messages with the branch name.

The GitKraken program allows you to show/hide 1 or more branches like you would with layers in a Photoshop document. Sourcetree can only show/hide all local and all remote branches.

So if I have 15 branches, in sourcetree I can see either all 30 local+remote or just all 15 local branches.

But in GitKraken I can set it to only show 1 or 2 or 4 or 5 etc.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2016

You are definitely not the first to ask this question (try searching this site for "branch colors"), and the problem basically boils down to this: even though the name "branch" implies that it refers to a line of commits, on a technical level, a branch only refers to a single commit.

I wrote a rather detailed answer to one of these questions recently, hopefully it helps: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/44220615

aphillips801 November 11, 2019

When I click your link I get an SSL error - using Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit), but I get similar errors with Opera and FireFox.  (Why does public info even need to be encrypted??)

This site can’t provide a secure connection

answers.atlassian.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCHHide detailsUnsupported protocolThe client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2016

Very helpful update, thanks.

0 votes
Matthew Wilkinson December 1, 2016

Thanks for the reply Seth, I have updated my initial question.

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 1, 2016

I do not understand this question.

What do you mean by "to identify branch", and why would you need a legend to do that?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events