sourcetree git command line with ssh authentication

how can I use the sourcetree embedded git client from the terminal with ssh authentication? I'm able to clone a repo via the gui (via putty setup), but an equivalent git clone command via the terminal fails

6 answers

Kindly provide more details on the problem. Somehelpful specifics would be the "equivalent git clone command" that is failing, as well as any error messages that are notifying you of the failure.

hi, I can do a "git clone" via the gui using putty in the background, but when I start a terminal, and use the git embedded client (1.8.3) to do a "git clone", then I get ssh authentication failures. This works via the gui without issues (sourcetree 1.4.0.0)

git clone ssh://stash.company.com/cad/gitbm.git
Cloning into 'repo'...
ssh_control_listener_bind(): No such file or directory
fatal: Could not read from remote repository

Can you SSH into the stash server from the git embedded client? If not, see if this is relevant: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/msysgit/Xf1Af3vrHX8

I can login via sourcetree gui, and putty, but not via the embedded git command via the terminal. "$GIT_SSH" reports "plink: Release 0.63". I can do "$GIT_SSH" stash.server.com, but I cannot do "git ls-remote" from the command line. It's like the embedded git version refuses to read $GIT_SSH

Sounds odd, I'm at a loss. Let's hope one of the Atlassian guys jumps in here.

Sounds odd, I'm at a loss. Let's hope one of the Atlassian guys jumps in here.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

778 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you