purpose of shelve, fetch and HG Flow

Hi all,

source tree is new one for me

what is the functionalities or purpose of 'Shelve', 'fetch', and 'HG Flow' in the tool bar of source tree work bench?

1 answer

1 accepted

I'm not sure what "Fetch" means, as i use Git, and brief research suggests it is NOT the same as git fetch.

"Shelve" will take a snapshot of your current changes and store them in a small package separate from any commit or branch, then will clear those changes from your working copy. The "shelved" changes can later be re-applied to any branch (including the one you originally shelved from). This is most often used to temporarily get local changes out of the way in cases where you aren't ready to commit, but you want to pull changes from a remote.

HG Flow is a tool to streamline an OPTIONAL workflow. You can find out more about this workflow here: https://andy.mehalick.com/2011/12/24/an-introduction-to-hgflow

Hi Seth Foss,

sory for late reply Foss. your information is helpful for me.

i have a another question. why below notification is occur when work with git

and also when i try to first commit to the git repository, the index error is occur why? what is index and how to create it?

Your loose objects dialog is from Git Gui, not SourceTree, so this isn't the best place to ask the question. I did find an answer on StackOverflow.

Also, I can't answer your question about the inde error without more information. What is the error message?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

231 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot