It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why can't I see the Security Tab in the Repository Settings?

My repo settings can be seen in the below screenshot, I am looking for a way to set up GPG signing in Source Tree specifically. I have set it up to work via Git which Sourcetree leverages, but wondered if I am missing something?

Sketch (1).png

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

For anyone looking for an answer here, there is a fairly simple way around this using the following instructions:

1. Open Git Bash.

2. Use the gpg --list-secret-keys --keyid-format LONG command to list GPG keys for which you have both a public and private key. A private key is required for signing commits or tags.

gpg --list-secret-keys --keyid-format LONG

Note: Some GPG installations on Linux may require you to use gpg2 --list-keys --keyid-format LONG to view a list of your existing keys instead. In this case you will also need to configure Git to use gpg2by running git config --global gpg.program gpg2.

3. From the list of GPG keys, copy the GPG key ID you'd like to use. In this example, the GPG key ID is 3AA5C34371567BD2:

gpg --list-secret-keys --keyid-format LONG
    /Users/hubot/.gnupg/secring.gpg
    ------------------------------------
    sec   4096R/3AA5C34371567BD2 2016-03-10 [expires: 2017-03-10]
    uid                          Hubot 
    ssb   4096R/42B317FD4BA89E7A 2016-03-10
  4. To set your GPG signing key in Git, paste the text below, substituting in the GPG key ID you'd like to use. In this example, the GPG key ID is 3AA5C34371567BD2:

git config --global user.signingkey 3AA5C34371567BD2

To configure your Git client to sign commits by default for a local repository, in Git versions 2.0.0 and above, run git config commit.gpgsign true. To sign all commits by default in any local repository on your computer, run git config --global commit.gpgsign true.

To store your GPG key passphrase so you don't have to enter it every time you sign a commit, we recommend using the following tools:

• For Mac users, the GPG Suite allows you to store your GPG key passphrase in the Mac OS Keychain.
  • For Windows users, the Gpg4win integrates with other Windows tools.

You can also manually configure gpg-agent to save your GPG key passphrase, but this doesn't integrate with Mac OS Keychain like ssh-agent and requires more setup.

This method will result in a password prompt for your GPG key when committing via Sourcetree.

1 vote
minnsey Atlassian Team Jul 03, 2018

Hi

I'm afraid GPG signing is not directly supported in Sourcetree for Windows currently.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Sourcetree

Sourcetree for Windows - CVE-2019-11582 - Remote Code Execution vulnerability

A vulnerability has been published today in regards to Sourcetree for Windows.  The goal of this article is to give you a summary of information we have gathered from Atlassian Community as a st...

4,927 views 0 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you