Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync 2 peer repositories with SourceTree

David Hou March 2, 2014

I remember when I worked on commend line git over Linux, I was able to sync my repository with a peer repository for, say, integration testing before both of us push to the central or origin git repository. Can I do similarly with SourceTree? If so, is there any resources documenting how?

1 answer

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

Git is designed to be de-centralized. All non-local repositories (central or peer) are "remotes". You should be able to add the peer repository as a remote using the parameters you used for connecting with command line.

David Hou March 2, 2014

So one can't do so via the GUI? And such use case can only be done via command line?

My actual use case is syncing my Mac with Windows 7 repository which has VPN access to the remote origin (yep, my Mac has no VPN). How do I get git command line on Windows 7? [UPDATE: never mind about command line, I see the icon on the toolbar...]

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2014

Yes, you can use the GUI to add remotes. Under the repository menu, go to "Add remote...". In push/pull menus you'll have the option of which remote to use for the operation. It should default to origin.

David Hou March 2, 2014

Seth, thanks for responding. Since I can't find any useful documentation on SourceTree, can you possibly give me the steps using GUI to...

1) Share a local branch to peers

2) Formulate the connection string to access the local branch for a peer to add a remote

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events