Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sourcetree Windows 3.0.12 no longer force push

kxk4xyh December 10, 2018

I updated to 3.0.12 this morning, and ever since I can no longer do a force push, which I often use in combination with Amend latest commit. The option is enabled in Options, Git. And I also checked/unchecked 'Use Safe Force Push'.

When the checkbox for Force Push is checked, and I click 'Ok' in the Push window, the window closes but nothing happens.

The workaround I found is to manually enter the git command: when I manually do "git push --force etc" the push is executed. There is no error.

2 answers

2 votes
Andrew Kessel January 16, 2019

I was seeing the same issue. Here is a workaround inside SourceTree itself instead of via the command line:

Open the SourceTree Options, go to the Git tab and uncheck the "Check submodules before commit & push" option.

You should probably not use this workaround if your submodules are under active/frequent development, but if they're relatively stable, then it should be safe.

I don't know the underlying reason this is happening, but at least this should allow you to force push again.

0 votes
minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2018

Hi

Is there anything indicating an error in the console? You can make sure the console stays open by checking the 'Always display full console output' option in the Tools/Options/General tab

kxk4xyh December 11, 2018

No, there is nothing indicating an error in the console. I have checked 'Always display full console output' now. After clicking on the button 'Push' the Submodule check window is shown very briefly. It's almost as if it finds there is nothing to push. My local branch is checked by the way.

David Worsley December 17, 2018

I have been experiencing exactly the same thing since upgrading to 3.0.12.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

minnsey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2019

Does the repository have submodules? If so are your changes in the parent or submodule?

David Worsley January 9, 2019

In our case, yes, the repo has one sub-module.  The failed force pushes have been to the parent, however.

Sylvain Duchesne January 24, 2019

Same issue here, and it seems to only be when projects have submodules

minnsey
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2019

Thanks for the information I've raised the following ticket, please add any additional details there.

stefan-unimaze March 6, 2019

Any update on this problem?

Preben Fihl March 11, 2019

Link to the issue (if someone else is looking for this):

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREEWIN-11297

Shawn Fox
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 1, 2024

It is still a problem using source tree 3.4.17. Using the force push option as a work around does still work for me.  The application provides no feedback as to what the problem is.  Is simply doesn't respond to the request after pushing the button to push changes.

Florin ION
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 3, 2024

Same issue here, regarding force-push, using source tree 3.4.17 :(
Is there a workaround?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events