SourceTree silent install on Windows

Hi,

I'm trying to install SourceTree 1.3.3 via Puppet on Windows (300+ machines) and I'm struggling with the (undocumented) silent install options. Has anyone been able to do it ? Or in other words: what options should be used to make an unattended install of SourceTree 1.3.3 on Windows ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

5 answers

1 accepted

OK, I think I've figured it out: the two options to pass are /qn (to make it silent) and APPDIR=some-folder (if you don't want to use the default folder). Easy to puppetize once you know what's expected from the installer.

The next requirement to make this install fully automated is to preconfigure the user prefs (git location, username/email, putty SSH and licence) - they are currently asked upon first launch. We are doing this kind of automation for all of our development software provisioning (100+ products) so I guess I'll have to open a New Feature issue for that.

Thanks for your time, the Advanced Installer mention helped me dig further.

Cheers,

Nicolas

Did you in the end succeed in getting it to work in a full 'silent' mode.

With silent I mean:

The user questions to be answered (registration, mercury question) are handled by the installation itself and not asked to the user after first starting Sourcetree?

Regards,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

No, we could not make it completely silent since the config you mention (except for the license file) is stored in a directory whose name changes with the SourceTree version. On Windows it comes in the form of APPDATA/.../SourceTree.exe_Url_nmsdfhjsdf1234h1234nmkscv2344j/.../user.config.

This file is also where the SourceTree user prefs are stored when the app is used so we don't want to play with it during provisioning.

So yes, we are still looking for a way to specify the installation prefs upon install, as of today we provision the license file and let the user answer the Mercury/Git questions.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Nicolas

0 vote
Jeff Thomas Atlassian Team Jan 12, 2014

Nicolas,

Have you seen this previous answer from Steve?

Unfortunately we're limited by what ClickOnce can offer right now, and it doesn't have a good way of automating installs.

Thanks Jeff,

>Have you seen this previous answer from Steve?

Yes, but I think the installer was changed since then, here's the post: http://blog.sourcetreeapp.com/2013/05/13/new-installer-updater-for-sourcetree-for-windows/

503 right now, unfortunately, but from Google search it goes:

13 mai 2013 - We've just changed our installer and auto-update system for SourceTree for Windows – up until now we've been using ClickOnce, which ...

So I think that ClickOnce is not used anymore, but I can't figure out what it has been replaced with either.

0 vote
Jeff Thomas Atlassian Team Jan 12, 2014

Ahh good catch! I had assumed they were still on ClickOnce.

Here is the cache for the blog post. It looks like they've switch to an MSI built with Advanced Installer.

I just used the /qb parameter to run the exe from the command line and it appeared to work. I'm not very experienced with silent installs and puppet, but I found some information here.

Yeah we no longer user ClickOnce due to various limitations, just to clarify.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 30, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: configuring Git or Mercurial in Sourcetree

Supported Platforms macOS Windows To make using Sourcetree as simple yet powerful as possible we embed (bundle) dependencies such as Git, Git LFS, and Mercurial. We strive to keep these...

571 views 1 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you