Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree not working on Mac OS X Mountain Lion

Bernd Waschneck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 12, 2012

Hello,

I have installed SourceTree on Mountain Lion, once over the AppStore and once as direct download. The App always starts without any problems but I cannot get a connection to a svn server. I enter the Server URL and hit enter, and I just get the rotating waiting sign. I can check out the repository over git svn in the console and everything works.

I have already installed the Command Line Tools over Xcode and the py2.7-hgsubversion package with macports.

Any Idea why sourcetree still does not work?

Thanks a lot. Bernd

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2012

Unfortunately Mountain Lion removed both Subversion and the python bindings by default. I've created 2 KB articles (one for git-svn, one for hgsubversion) which worked for me from a clean Mountain Lion install:

Hgsubversion on Mountain Lion

Git-svn on Mountain Lion

It sounds like you may have already followed these instructions but I've included them for completeness.

If, after setting this up, you get the spinner, it's usually this: Perpetual spinner when trying to clone Subversion

Bernd Waschneck
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 12, 2012

Thanks for your help! I went through all the tutorials you posted. It's still not working, but I think i'm getting closer. Problem is still the same.

My standart python Version is 2.6, but I have 2.7 installed . Does Sourcetree call 2.7 explicitly or does it just call python?

Concerning the Hgsubversion bindings: As I said, I have already installed them with macports. I tried to install them with Homebrew again, but I get some arrows when Homebrew detects the macports installation. But it should also work with macports, if I changed the command to :

sudo sh -c 'echo /opt/local/lib/libpython2.7.dylib > /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/subversion.pth'

But I'm not sure about that part.

How can I checkout in python wether the bindings are installed?

Thanks a lot for your help.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2012

SourceTree doesn't call Python itself, but the hg script does. Mercurial does still work with Python 2.6, because that's the default version on Mac OS X 10.6, but it's sub-optimal because the precompiled Mercurial is based on 2.7, so using 2.6 will require recompilation. Worse, any bindings you've installed for Python 2.7 won't be usable. Python 2.7 is the default version for Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8, so I assume you've changed this for some other reason. Is there any way you can revert to the system default Python in general, and just specify Python 2.6 when you need it?

If not, you'll probably need to install the Python 2.6 SVN bindings separately, which could get tricky if Macports is wanting to use the latest. I'm sure it's possible, but if you can avoid it it's probably better.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events