Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SourceTree Licensing

Jordan Packer January 1, 2014

I'm considering moving my developers onto a Git/Stash platform, and would like to use SourceTree as the client GUI. I understand that the software is free as long as you're registered. My question is, do each of my developers have to create an Atlassian account and register themselves? Or is there a way to get a company-wide license similar to your other products (Bamboo, JIRA, etc.)?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

Hey Jordan,

We've had this case a few times. Many-a-time, because companies have images set up for deploying their OS installs, they have a single license for their company (some have hundreds of installs using SourceTree). If you go onto AtlassianID and generate a product license you can then download that license and import it into SourceTree.

On Windows it's "File" menu then "Registration" then "Import license" button and on Mac it's the "SourceTree" menu followed by the same route as Windows. You can download the license file from AtlassianID.

Alternatively, if you've already got the license on a machine, you can manually copy and drop in the license file which is located at ~/Library/Application\ Support/SourceTree/sourcetree.license.

It's OK if this is for a company, but for individuals we suggest individually registering.

Hope that helps

Jordan Packer January 2, 2014

That helps, thank you. I guess the only problem now is that I have my license regisered under the company AtlassianID and it's using my email address.... So if I use that one for all the other developers, then it will have my email in there. Do you know of a way to change that?

Greg Meador March 20, 2014

Jordan, I'm curious how you resolved this. I'm currently using the license file I generated for SourceTree and it has my e-mail in it as well. I thought about going into file and switching it to a generic company e-mail, but I don't know exactly what that means to Atlassian. So for now I'm planning to use the license file I generated, with my e-mail, for the entire company.

Maybe someone from Atlassian can jump in here to confirm this is what I should be doing?

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 20, 2014

Hey Greg,

Official response here. Just create a new login using your company e-mail address, then you can download your SourceTree license from the website or through SourceTree itself, then use the license file for your company. There's quite a few people who do this as they distribute throughout the company using the corporate software installers to deploy.

Cheers

1 vote
Aleksei Kulik May 29, 2017

Good day everyone!

Please help me - I use version 2.0.20.1 for Windows, and I need to move my license to offline computer. Offline computer never will get access to any internet site. How could I solve this trouble?

Thank you.

1 vote
Burakk Gümüş July 3, 2014

olmıuyoooo

1 vote
Greg Meador March 20, 2014

Hi Kleran, thanks for the quick response. Can you explain the "create a new login" piece? Where do I do that - SourceTree or MyAtlassian? I was able to generate a license file using my main work e-mail (in the MyAtlassian licensing section), but I was wondering if this same license file, with my email, should be used for the entire company.

KieranA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 20, 2014

Hey Greg,

Usually companies have a corporate address they want to use for their licenses, for example, license@somecompanyname.comrather than greg@somecompanyname.com, so I was just saying you could create a new login on my.atlassian.comand create a new license using a different e-mail address and use that license for SourceTree for all users in the company instead.

Basically you can do it however you want, it's just I wanted you to know that many companies have a single license for their SourceTree installs for various reasons, one of them being that their IT systems deploy software so they can't configure each piece of software individually.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events