Source Tree on Mac is very slow to respond

I've seen this issue over time as Source Tree has evolved, it's not a new issue. At some point, it becomes very slow to respond. If I try to stage some files, there will be a long delay (can go into minutes) before SourceTree will actually stage the files and in the meantime you see the standard Mac spinning beachball and you see some animated circular icon in SourceTree as well. It gets to the point where clicking on anything just initiates a delay.

Last night, it took at least 5 minutes for me to stage a few files, commit them and then push them out, the delays being due to SourceTree being unresponsive.

 

This is happening with Mac version 2.0.2

 

Any ideas?

I appreciate very much that this product is free, I would have been happy to pay for it, it's damn good, but it needs to be solid/responsive all the time.

5 answers

Just for comparison, have you tried the same operations from the terminal?

No, but I've tried it from other GUI products like Tower and had no problems. This "feels" like a GUI management problem, not a problem getting at the underlying data in the respository.

I'm sad to say that 9 months later, I'm still seeing this issue. However, this time, the problem did not happen with some exotic code base but with some simple Java source files. Typically once this happens, CPU utilization hovers anywhere from 90% to 101[sic]%

 

This time around however, because I was running Activity Monitor, I took a sample and it's not too hard to see where it's getting stuck. However, the file has over 2000 lines in it so I'm not sure you really want me inserting that text here. Let me know where I might send it.

 

Force-quiting and restarting causes everything to work fine again immediately.

 

 

screenshot_295.png

I see similar things. Even with latest ST version (2.0.5.5). The app is not responding and the spinning beach ball shows up when there many changes for example in a 900kb file.

Looks to me like that SourceTree has problems with the diff for larger files with many changes. Almost unusable this tool.

Yes, I know exactly what's wrong but I've kinda given up reporting it  (the price one pays for something that is free smile I suppose)

 

In my case, I am saving JSON files created from MaxMSP. Turns out that even if you make just a minor change at the visual end, the JSON that is produced may have the objects in different orders and so although the JSON is semantically almost identical, syntaxwise, text can have moved around drastically (e.g. stuff near the top in one version may be down near the end in another version).

 

Turns out that in the latest version of Max, they've applied some kind of sort ordering so that JSON files get saved essentially the same way every time and so the differences are now tiny. Consequently, SourceTree works beautifully again.

As I said a year or two ago, there needs to be a way to turn off that diff process completely in SourceTree.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Brian Ganninger
Published Jan 23, 2018 in Sourcetree

Tip from the team: workflow and keyboard shortcuts

Supported Platforms macOS Sourcetree has a lot to offer and, like many developer tools, finding and using it all can be a challenge, especially for a new user. Everyone might not love ...

798 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you