Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSH drive forced unmounting while updating in sourcetree

Matt Bulfair June 12, 2012

I am currently using source tree for my mercurial repos, I store the repo's on a local server for multiple people. I used to use SMB share but ran into random issues when pushing/pulling. Did some research and found that SSH tunneling was the best solution for this.

Recently it seems when I do a update to a branch, it will sometimes, eject my drive. For mounting I have used transmit, and now expandrive, both with the same result.

Is this a issue with SSH, Sourcetree, or the server it self?

Any help would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2012

Yeah an SMB share is not very reliable for use with Git or Mercurial. What do you mean by 'SSH tunnelling' though? Do you mean running the SMB protocol over SSH? If you're using SSH, why not just use SSH push/pull directly instead with a SSH URL? That's how I set up all my hg repos.

I don't know specifically about ejecting the drive, my guess would be that the tunnelling via SSH/SMB is a bit fragile. If it were me I'd just use a SSH URL directly (no SMB) for the hg remote - you can always use SMB separately for simple file access.

Matt Bulfair June 13, 2012

My apologies, I am using expandrive to SFTP: into my local server, which is where I mount as a drive. I then clone, push, pull, and commit from source tree, but it goes through that SFTP method. So what you are saying is to change my remote url to ssh username@ipaddress ?

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2012

Yes, so the format for the remote URL will be something like: ssh://yourname@host:/path/to/repository - you don't need anything else except the SSH server running.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events