Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Path smart display

Mike Brandehorst February 20, 2012

If paths are long it would be handy to see the first AND LAST bit.

public_html/assets/ima....some-image.png

See GitTower how they handle this.

7 answers

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2012

I've never seen that option before, thanks!

0 votes
Paul Collins March 4, 2012

I could go either way on this idea, but to save you time, if you're using a cell such as the standard Text Field Cell in an NSTableView column, the IB Line Break setting "Truncate middle" should do this for you.

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2012

OK, I sort of see your point here (but to clarify, the file name isn't on the end of the path as you describe there, it's simply the folder).

And if you were grouping things by path, you could have more easily done this by switching to the tree view or column view, which doesn't have a path column at all, it's a hierarchical view.

But regardless, fair point that compressing in the middle is an overall nicer approach, it's just not what the standard Cocoa controls do. I guess others must use custom controls for this, I'll take a look for a future version.

0 votes
Mike Brandehorst February 21, 2012

I see, then I mean:

FilenamePath

Container.jspublic_html/asse...w/component/Container.js

The point I'm trying to make is that the end of path is as important as the beginning. This is to long to see:

public_html/assets/vendor/sencha/touch/2b3/js/src/dataview/component/Container.js

Now I have to drag the right of path column to the right, almost fullscreen or hover each path to see the end. I had 2300 new files last time and wanted to put them in bundeled separate commits. I ended up committing this time with GitTower and went back to SourceTree when the new files were not that much again.

Another nice method is how Sequel Pro handles long database values:

1) First the font width is made smaller to fit the column

2) Still to long? Then the font size is made smaller (but not to small) to fit the column

3) Still to long? The the value is done like I said above: public_html/asse...w/component/Container.js

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

Right, it's just your quote above included the filename at the end, implying that you couldn't see it, but of course in SourceTree the path and filename are separate, so the file name is never cut off.

0 votes
Mike Brandehorst February 20, 2012

All three views (left top) have Path as a column...

Filename, Path

0 votes
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

Which view(s) in particular were you thinking of here? We don't often display full paths, the only place I can think of is the diff pane, but that scrolls.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events