Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC crashed on commit and lost local workspace

Silvia Ramos June 4, 2014

Hello,

I'm a bit on panic mode at the moment. This is what happened: I just got a blue screen on my PC right when I was doing a commit into a local branch.

After restarting the PC I openend SourceTree and saw that I was checked out at the master branch instead of the branch in which I was working before the crash. What's more, the branch has disappeared completely and I have no local history at all.

The good news is that it looks like all the changes that I had made are still there. I see all the files in "Staged changes", but I need to stash them before I can switch to another branch (as I don't want to commit to master yet) and I'm getting the following error:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false stash save AfterCrash

fatal: bad revision 'HEAD'

fatal: bad revision 'HEAD'

fatal: Needed a single revision

You do not have the initial commit yet

Completed with errors, see above.

Is there a way to recover the status of my workspace before the crash? What would be the best way to solve this issue?
I will really appreciate any help. Thank you!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Silvia Ramos June 5, 2014

Well in the end I decided to start from scratch and clone the remote repo again.

Then I replaced the files by mine and now I can confirm that all the modifications are there. That was close :-D

0 votes
Mia Paulin April 28, 2023

@mention Do you have a system restore point for your local system and everything on it?  What is exactly wrong with your workspace and what exactly happened with your commit?  The system restore will have everything you had before, including the branch you couldn't fing and all of your history that was erased.  Try that.  It's easier than having to reset the whole thing. A lot of people had this prbloem with sourcetree.  But, see if it works.  I hope I was able to help.

0 votes
designburo September 22, 2018

I too get bluescreens on commits, Not always, but often. Stopped using the windows version and do it on the Mac version that seems to work fine.

0 votes
Pierre-Etienne Poirot
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2014

You could solve that error by applying the following command:

git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/name-of-the-branch-you-were-on

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events