Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest Sourcetree update is terrible

Viewing page 2 of 4

81 answers

2 votes
richrout February 17, 2016

I can't even delete files the same way I did before! I would previously delete the file in my file system, then simply "check" the unstaged removed file to stage that delete. Now when I do this, I get:

git -c diff.mnemonicprefix=false -c core.quotepath=false rm -q -f -- filter-helper.js
fatal: pathspec 'filter-helper.js' did not match any files
Completed with errors, see above.

I've found I can now delete file by right clicking the missing file in source tree, then deleting from that menu (or pressing ctrl + delete).

Why would you guys change this behavior?

2 votes
Saby February 17, 2016

Very good update!

First - I can't install it for first time. It's simple don't want loading web page.
Second - even if you login & install app, you can't use app. Then you launch app - it ask your login & pass. And if you give it (or even cancel) - main form still untouchable.

Amazing update. Sometimes I remember 90's with it's CDs. In 90s, if company launch similar update, she is simple going to bankruptcy and don't waste time of anyone.

1 vote
Aitor I Bertorelli E February 25, 2016

Updated on OS X, after any merge mouse becomes useless: no click, right click or hover; dimmed Quit on menu; overall unresponsiveness. Only keyboard arrows work.

Only way to keep working is force quitting the App and reopen it.

Several former status icons become uninformative. 

A total step back. What a shame.

In 21st century we all still have to be tied to console windows, 1000e1000% absurd.

1 vote
alex_shaver February 23, 2016

I like the design alright, but I have broken SSH problems, and that's not acceptable.

1 vote
Neal Striegler-Pettersson February 22, 2016

Can't login - sourcetree is completely broken. 

Why does stuff like this keep happening with Atlassian products?

Attempting google login:

`Invalid CSRF token found in form body`

When attempting regular login:

`The email address or password you entered is incorrect.`
No, no it isn't. 
Garry Haywood February 23, 2016

@Neal Striegler-Pettersson

sourcetree is using IE internally and borks when it trying to get the OATH response in chrome

see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/36182929

Neal Striegler-Pettersson February 23, 2016

Absolutely unbelievable. How was this nonsense released?

FRO February 24, 2016

Don"t use "Stay logged in" checkbox (next "Log in" bottomn)

1 vote
Nicholas Rogoff February 21, 2016

What a shame. Whoever suggested removing the colour from the UI Bookmarks pane is obviously not a developer working on multiple rapidly changing git repos. Maybe a photoshop user?

That I can live with, however the biggest problem is that it is constantly hanging and crashing.

I'm a big fan and this is a very sad update. I would have happily paid for 1.7.0, but not for this.

1 vote
Peter Halverson February 19, 2016

Ditto to all the above. Dropping back to 1.7 in 5, 4, 3, 2,...

1 vote
Roy Leban February 18, 2016

A flat design doesn't mean it has to be ugly, nor does it mean icons have to be indistinguishable from one another. While we're at it, I am still extremely annoyed that there is no visible indication of the Amend Commit flag. I have mistakenly committed a non-amended commit more than once as a result, and that's a paint to fix. I use SourceTree so I don't have to use the git command line, so it's annoying to have to go to it to workaround bugs in SourceTree. Why don't they fix that bug before spending time screwing up the rest of the UI?

1 vote
mikedigital February 18, 2016

I'm having similar issues including but not limited to:

• Cannot manage the staging view. They are all checked and currently defaulted to "Split View"
  • Popups on ever file I click.
  • When I click the "Select All" checkbox it endlessly loads until I arbitrarily click something.
  • I cannot remove deleted files. It tells me that the file does not exist. I know it doesn't exist and you know it does not exist. That's why it shows up as deleted.

Aesthetically, though, I like it. Keep up the good work there. The other stuff, not so much.

1 vote
Norbert Schollum February 17, 2016

Same problem here: I am unable to work with Sourcetree since Version 1.8 under Windows.

Source hangs when navigating a git repo, its no possible to use the gitflow anymore.

Where can i download the old 1.7 Version? There is no link on the site?

1 vote
nicolas longuet February 17, 2016

je suis français, un mot: horrrible

1 vote
nilspoltoraczyk February 16, 2016

Worked yesterday, today i am greeted with the Setup assistant i already completed again and an empty content window at step "Atlassian Account". Can't do anything other than quit and resume. Bonus: quitting crashes the program. OSX latest

1 vote
Sumafu February 16, 2016

I had the same problem. @Douglas Smith you can remove SourceTree in Windows in the Control Panel in the "porgramms and features" section (remove all versions shown), and then just reinstall the old version.

1 vote
Edwin Lunandy February 16, 2016

I'm having issue with the latest version as well. I couldn't even start the program. It keep crashing on Win 8.1. 

1 vote
Antonius February 16, 2016

Ditto as @Douglas Smith's situation.

A bit luckier that I have the git shell command fallback... for now...

Hope they fix it soon.

0 votes
drcogent September 6, 2019

It is definitely a steaming pile of dookie! I've had to revert to 3.1.3 since the latest version is constantly locking up on me and not even showing me all the repos that are on the server!

0 votes
Deleted user August 15, 2018

For those having issues with SourceTree, try https://www.gitkraken.com. I switched a year ago because SourceTree wouldn't let me login, and I haven't looked back. It's amazing and being actively developed and improved. 

0 votes
ccshannon August 11, 2018

I stopped updating this software years ago and use a much older version (2.0.5.8). That works. Once they said "you have to log in to Atlassian to manage your local git repos" on my local machine, they really lost me. I also do not like the newer design. It wastes space and doesn't feel as compact. I use a visual git client so I can see as many changes, as many branches, as many files as possible all at once. The all-blue iconography also does not work for me. It makes the buttons less distinguishable.

I wish they would return to more compact design on the toolbar, easier-to-view log, and most of all, get rid of the Atlassian login. That would bring me back to recommending SourceTree again.

Maris Seimanovs August 11, 2018

It seems, SourceTree went bananas after the man behind it left the project:

https://www.stevestreeting.com/2014/10/23/self-sourcetree-exit/

0 votes
sobkonick July 22, 2017

i hate this new version. it try to load all files from my home directory and i dont even know why. Thats not all. It stops responding like every 10 seconds and it eats all my PC resources. I cant wait for new version any more, cause this one works horribly bad.

0 votes
Tahir Khalid March 13, 2017

It's terrible and actually causing serious problems for producivity now.  I love Atlassian products but this is something offensive.

External Diff hangs and brings the app down eventually.  I have to use Git Bash to do the things SourceTree doesn't seem to be able to do (like add files).

It needs a rewrite.

0 votes
fuck atlassian October 23, 2016

Sourcetree is dead, use alternatives. It's burried under incompetency and questionable decisions that avoid any human logic, whoever is responsible for these decisions is a moron.

0 votes
james_cary September 28, 2016

I avoided updates as long as I could, but finally had to update. Now, it doesn't tell me when files have been updated. To find modified files, I now have to go to file status and change the status filter dropdown fro Modified files, to Pending (or anything else) then back to Modified to see updates. 

At this point, I'm using GitKraken more. The UI isn't as great as SourceTree's UI used to be, but at least it tells me when I have modified files

update - It appears the setting to auto refresh files (Settings -> General -> Refresh automatically when files change) is not working on Mac using SourceTree 2.3.1 and and Mac OS X 10.11.6. Manually refreshing using apple + R properly refreshes. Not ideal, but at least a usable workaround. 

0 votes
thmsnhl June 15, 2016

I can't stage my files via drag'n'drop, this is so frustrating...

0 votes
davotoula April 15, 2016

This is just awful, I thought it was just me but good to see similar reports.

UI has taken a step back. It's not just about "new is bad", the icons look of lower quality and UX is poor.

I have a bug where nothing is selectable after a merge. Maybe there is a dialog box hidden somewhere but the only option is to force stop warning and restart to complete the merge.

0 votes
Maris Seimanovs April 3, 2016

Yep, this year so much has gone wrong. Of course, SourceTree had some bugs even before that, but those bugs were not affecting my everyday workflow, and I could safely recommend SourceTree to my beginner colleagues.

For me there are three worst things:

Atlassian, please, fix these and do not introduce new bugs in the functionality which has been working well for years.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events